GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tailgate latching issues 05 Sierra SLT

my tailgate will latch, just not easily, have to slam it shut fairly hard up to a dozen times to get it to latch shut and stay shut, once i do tho, it stays that way. ive tried some WD-40 a few times but it only helps for just a little bit. wondering what else i could try.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Possibly white lithium spray grease would last longer

If you sprayed the WD-40 into the handle, you not lubing everyhting. Try removing the tailgate panel and spray everything with a lube.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

guess i should have specified that i sprayed the actual latch part in the sides of the tailgate, i might play with it some today, depends how hot it gets.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

not to necro this, but i finally got around to pulling the actual handle on my tailgate. turns out the pivot for the handle that pops the latches on the sides of the tailgate was just seized up with rust. Hit it with some brake cleaner and then WD-40. played with the latch for a while getting it to lossen up. hit it with more brake cleaner and then a light coat of WD-40, put it back together, now my tailgate closes like a champ.

just thought id post this up for anyone else having issues with theirs.

Alex

Congratulations. I was going to suggest that repair, but I see you found it all by yourself. Go ahead and spray some white grease up into that handle to help prevent further rusting and seizing.
    Good Luck and God Bless