GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transmission Leak

Okay folks, I need some of your brainpower and experience.

I have a 97 Suburban 1500 w/ 196k miles. Last fall I had a GM remanufactured trans installed by the dealer. (I like the warranty)

I've got about 7,000 miles on it since the install. Last weekend I noticed a very large pool of bright red fluid under the truck. Had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the pan gasket.

I drove about 50 miles and this morning discovered a fresh pool of trans fluid. Towed it back to the dealer. They just called and said they can't find a leak !! According to them the fluid levels are normal, they have it on a lift and running and cant find a thing. They are going to keep it on the lift and check again Monday morning.

Any ideas? My original suspicion was lines to the transmission cooler. They were flushed but not replaced as part of the install. Could it be something that requires the transmission to run under load to reach a certain temperature? Is there a temperature cutout that keeps the trans fluid from going to the cooler before a certain temp is reached?

I've had pretty good experiences with this dealership service department ... they havent tried to feed me BS in any of my previous experiences. I just would like your ideas so I know enough to call BS if it does show up.

Thanks ... Pat
    Pat
    Virginia
    '97 K1500 Suburban 189,000 miles

Also ... 2007 Camry, 2002 Accord, 2001 Camry, 1999 Pontiac Montana
    (lots of kids)

Previous: 1996 Camaro, 1987 Saab, 1995 Lumina, 1976 Alfa Romeo, etc

Legend
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't throw the BS flag on them just yet Pat. Sometimes leaks are slow & take sitting overnight to show up. I think since they're keeping it over the weekend they'll find a nice red spot Monday morning
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Just the fact that their going to leave it on the lift say's to me their serious about your concerns and not ready to say you were seeing things.
    Theres a couple things that could cause this like over servicing or as you said maybe it got extremely hot and foamed up the fluid but I'd also look at the tail shaft and pan areas real well. They should be able to find some sign of leakage if it's leaving puddles.
    Maybe its envious of Harley Davidson motorcycles, they always mark their spots.

Did you have the slip yoke replaced as well? That slip yoke has 196k miles of wear on it, while the transmission doesn't, could cause a significant leak. If they replaced the pan gasket correctly, the only other places it can leak are from the speed sensor, or the tail shaft housing, mainly the tail house busing.
    1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 350 cuin TBI in dark Chevy blue
    160,000+ miles
    Original paint
    Original interior
    Original engine and tranny
    wrecked twice stolen once
    Diamond Plate bed rails
    Power windows
    Original Alloy wheels
    Original fancy smancy cup holder
    Tow package
    Original plastic bed liner
    K&N Cone Air Intake
    Dual MagnaFlow exhaust(not true dual) with chrome tips
    MSD Street Fire Performance Ignition coil

Well the latest update: After the weekend at the dealer, sitting either on the lift or in the lot, they still cant find the leak and continue to claim that the levels are normal. Now, I have pictures of the leak, and the darn thing was dripping on the tow truck, so I'm not cracking up (well, no more than normal).

I only got to put about ten miles on it since I got it back, but will go put some miles on it tomorrow - try to stress it a bit in this heat.

My suspicion ? There had to be some sign of a leak considering how much was dumped on the ground. Could well be they screwed something up replacing the gasket (or missed it completely) and dont want to admit it. Maybe GM wouldnt honor the second warranty claim ... who knows?

Stay tuned !

Quote Originally Posted by patconva View Post
    Well the latest update: After the weekend at the dealer, sitting either on the lift or in the lot, they still cant find the leak and continue to claim that the levels are normal. Now, I have pictures of the leak, and the darn thing was dripping on the tow truck, so I'm not cracking up (well, no more than normal).

I only got to put about ten miles on it since I got it back, but will go put some miles on it tomorrow - try to stress it a bit in this heat.

My suspicion ? There had to be some sign of a leak considering how much was dumped on the ground. Could well be they screwed something up replacing the gasket (or missed it completely) and dont want to admit it. Maybe GM wouldnt honor the second warranty claim ... who knows?

Stay tuned !
    I can also look into this issue further. In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Default Update

Looks like the leak is indeed okay, whatever the cause. Saturday I moved my daughters - 100+ miles pulling a large U-Haul trailer on a relatively hot day. Lots of stop and go driving ... everything performed normally.

I love a happy ending ...

I hate crap like that. It would stay on my mind for at least a couple of weeks. Did you ever actually go under the vehicle an poke around? You could probably locate it. However, maybe like you said it did indeed stop. Wouldn't that be sweet.
    04 1/2 Ton Silverado Ext. Cab 2wd 4.8L bought New in Aug. 2004, 150k Miles.