GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Default Do you back into your parking spot?

I was talking with people at work the other day and they always ask me why trucks back into their parking spots. I told them that I do it personally because its MUCH easier to pull out forward than to back out. (I work in a plaza and its gets freakin' crazy packed sometimes.) I back in everywhere I go though, to me its just 100x easier to pull out than back out. Plus I like being able to look at the front of my truck from the parking lot! When I drove a car I never understood why trucks always backed up into parking spots but now I get it lol.

So how do you guys park? I personally love to throw it in reverse and back my way in.
    Last edited by AnimalYates; 07-30-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

I always back in. I worked for UPS for years and use to teach people how to drive trucks. UPS has done way too many studies and have found that backing into a spot is the safest way. The reason is you pull up to a spot and you can see what is going on around you. You back in knowing who and what is moving around you. When you go to leave now you are facing out and can still see what is going on. If you look at statistics you will see that most of the wrecks in parking lots occur when someone backs into another vehicle. If you back into the spot then you are in visual control.

Almost always - with 2 Burbs and a 1t van, its a lot easier. Depending on the lot, and if we'll be loading in the cargo area, sometimes I nose in next to the cart corral, but for the most part - beep, beep, beep....

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

it depends on the lot, i like to back in, but if there is no curb to stop me and a low little car, i tend to pull in so i dont back into someone. unless my wife is with me and can tell me how far back to go.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Legend
    Blog Entries

I found it is much easier to manuver the truck in reverse. Also with my time in the army we always combat parked LOL!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Master Mechanic

I always back in when its fitting, if its in a traffic circle (or square, or round-a-bout for those not in PA) I will pull in. My girlfriend drives a 90's F-250 and she pulls in, says she doesn't back up trucks.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Always always back in, I think I have forgotten how to pull straight into a parking spot. I feel alot more comfortable leaving just driving straight out. But I am the guy that goes to the very back of the parking lot where no one is and backing in and sometimes taking up 2 spots.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Sr. Mechanic

Back in when I have to park by other vehicles, otherwise I park away from everyone else. Way too many careless clowns out there that drive POS's and don't care about dinging someone else's ride.
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3, Rancho 4", 18x9 XD Addicts, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grappler m/t's, Westin brush guard, Go Rino steps, Truxedo lo pro cover, magnaflow, tow mirrors.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Always I have bikes and Motorcycles coming down my street all the time...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend
    Blog Entries

I.D.K. sometimes I pull straight in sometimes I back in. Depends on where I am parking at work.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by