GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2005 GMC Sierra new radio....won't work

The stock radio/cd player in my wife's 2005 Sierra quit. The radio still worked but the cd player was hit or miss. So I bought her a new aftermarket radio/cd player and installed it today. I used an aftermarket harness so it was a fairly simple installation. Anyway, now that the radio is installed and all buttoned up, it won't even turn on. No power at all. I assume the problem is some kind of security issue. What do I need to do to get the radio working? Is there a simple reset procedure? Thanks!!

Your aftermarket stereo will most likely require a switched power wire, which is a wire that supplies power only when the key is turned on or in the accessory position, the only problem with that is your factory stereo doesn't require one so GM doesn't supply one with the factory harness, so you will have to run a wire to the fuse box or ignition switch harness for switched power in order for your aftermarket deck to power up.
    2007 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra Classic SLE Crew Cab Z71
    Line-X bed liner
    Putco box rails
    Truxedo Lo Pro QT box cover
    Cloud-Rider grill inserts

Man, that is funny. I just got in from doing just that. Now the radio works, but I don't have the warning dings. I never liked the dings anyway. Thanks for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by dustlane View Post
    Man, that is funny. I just got in from doing just that. Now the radio works, but I don't have the warning dings. I never liked the dings anyway. Thanks for the help!!
    You dont have dings, chimes, seat belt warnings, turn signal clicks or OnStar if you had it either. You will need one of these depending on your setup if you want to keep them.

http://archive.pac-audio.com/products/productsDetail.asp?mmSearch=OnStar Interface

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

I never had onstar. The blinkers and hazards work fine. The only thing i am missing is the dings when the key is in the ignition with the door open and the seat belt warning. I never liked that anyway. In this case, less is good imo. Why would I spend a good chunk of cheddar just to get dings and chimes? My truck isn't even onstar capable.

Quote Originally Posted by dustlane View Post
    I never had onstar. The blinkers and hazards work fine. The only thing i am missing is the dings when the key is in the ignition with the door open and the seat belt warning. I never liked that anyway. In this case, less is good imo. Why would I spend a good chunk of cheddar just to get dings and chimes? My truck isn't even onstar capable.
    Sounds like your good to go then.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com