GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Audio System

Hybrid View

Default Audio System

Finally got some pics of my audio system in my truck, take a look.

Im waiting for the $$ to change my deck.. im looking for the alpine double din touch screen. but i dont have 1800$ to throw away at that... yet... lol
    Last edited by Rumpamuro; 08-16-2007 at 01:40 AM.

nice setup dude. Nice and clean job with the amp, cap, and sub on the back wall. Your iPod's a bit scratched yeah? ;) I don't know if I'd go with an alpine double-din when you could get a Pioneer that would probably sound and look just as good, and be a helluva lot cheaper. Don't get me wrong, Alpine is a real nice brand, but in my opinion it is way overpriced for what it is.

On a side rant, I don't know why people put capacitors in their vehicles. Yes, it should help with the lights dimming when the bass hits, but I've yet to see a setup where the cap actually made a difference. If you have that much power that you think you need a cap, just get a fricking second battery, like a good yellow top optima or something. The reason your lights dim is because the alternator can't keep up with the spiked load, which a cap IS good for. However, the people that think they need caps are usually the ones that listen to music where the sub is constantly hitting for minutes on end. A cap really doesn't help you there because the battery and alternator can't keep up to refill the cap. Granted, a battery isn't an end-all either, only a higher power alternator would be, along with probably a second battery. However, just a second battery should keep you lights from dimming, and for a longer period than a cap could. Ok, I've ranted enough and stole the thread.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Huh, until now I was unaware that folks put in-line capaciters into their system, that's what's stored in that silver canister?

Careful now with your rants guys, it looks like a solid system .. better than mine, don't start a on me though about capaciters!

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

capacitors dont do anything but help u waste money, do what everyone does called the big 3 or upgrade to an optima battery.

Nice job, Rumpy! Looks nice and clean. $1800 for a deck...oh my, I'd never get that past the wife..

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

thanks everyone.. yea i keep that ipod in the truck, i bought it for 20 and shes a 4gb, the funny thing is, i bought a brand new, second gen 8gb ipod, and apple has replaced it for the 3rd time. The cap was also a steal, i think at the end of the line, it came out to around $3.47 and doing the labour for my neighbours oil change once(brand new!) it has a digital display too, I use to be anti-cap b4 too, and im running "350w" RMS (birth sheet proves its got 467w RMS) amp, a 300w RMS sub, so i dont even need a cap. but after installing and proving it too myself that it works, i reccomend it. Dont get me wrong, adding a cap is no where near comparable to extra battery and altenator setup, but it does help. I use to watch my battery meter go back and fourth while driving or watch my headlights dim. after the cap, my batter meter only moves when i start the truck.

My favourtie part of installing the cap was reading the instructions on which way to wire to match ur needs, series, parralell, etc. I wired it the "best way" reccomended by the book, and it was no difference so i was convinced my anti-cap was right. butt then i thought, im gonna wire which ever way seems best to me. and it worked beautifully!

I wouldnt pay 1800 for it either, but i thought the only two touch navigation screens were kenwood and alpine, i hadnt really reaserched it yet lol i found the panasonic at the local best buy for 899$ on sale. still too much though lol im gonna wait for someone to have a used/"hot" one or just do a really big side job one day lol

BTW can anyone tell me how uplload pics i have a couple more of the stupid harness you have to have to keep stock "chimes, abs, air bags" but i cant figure out how to do it only the really hard way.