GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Extang tonneau problem

I received my new Extang cover yesterday. When I tried to install it I found the front rail to be 4 inches longer than the rear rail by the tailgate. I called Summit since I bought it through them and at that time Extang was already closed for the weekend. The tech support guy from Summit tells me that the front rail IS longer for the new full size GM trucks because the bed is tapered to the rear. I noticed the bows are all different sizes too. I measured the bed and yes its wider in the front but no way a full 4 inches. Im thinking Extang put the wrong parts in the box. Anyone else have a Platinum Classic on their truck ?? I already dropped the cover off at UPS to send back. Im hoping Extang goofed and this isnt the way this cover fits.

Did you try putting it together on your truck? We installed over 300 Extangs a year and never had a wrong part in the kit. Put it on loosely and then adjust it. What model did you get?
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Also make sure you ordered the correct parts. As the Action Auto center did to me yesturday, they gave me Chevy bed rail caps for my GMC. The Chevy beds have a decent amount of tapper toward the tail gate, and my GM is pretty much dead straight. Maybe they gave you chevy ones since they gotta curve?
    2010 Sierra Nevada Edition
    4.8L Ext. cab - Black Z85 4x4 G80
    Shaved a couple badges and 4x4 stickers, DeeZee Red label Low Pro gloss black Brite plate cross box,DeeZee gloss black Brite plate bed rail caps , K&N,more to come.

It was model 7645. The back and side rails looked OK but the front rail was a full 4 inches longer than the rear. Ive had Extang covers on quite a few of my trucks over the years and they always fit well. The tech support guy from Summit told me the front rail is actually longer but it was so long I couldnt even put on the hold down clamps. Not even close. Youre talking about a 2" taper on each side going to the rear rail. The front rail was actually sticking over the curve of the bed rail when I put the corner pieces in. This cant be the way its made. Im thinking somebody goofed when they were putting the pieces into the box. I'll be on the phone with Extang first thing Monday AM. Ive already dropped the box off at UPS.
    Im assuming the bows for the new 5'8 beds are slightly different in length. I noticed that right away. Thats the other issue. The long bow for the front was even too short to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Did you try putting it together on your truck? We installed over 300 Extangs a year and never had a wrong part in the kit. Put it on loosely and then adjust it. What model did you get?
    I dont want to hijack the thread, but since you are familier with the install of the Extang product, I have the Extang RT and I can noit for the life of me get it to close if the tailgate is closed. I have to close the cover then the tailgate.

Is it not adjusted right or do i need a lower profile tailgate cap? I nave an aftermarket one...you can see it in my sig.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

The bows are definitely sized differently, mine were clearly marked and fit fine. It's very possible that either an employee put the wrong piece in , or you got shipped/ordered the wrong kit. But overall if you assembled it and it didn't fit right then there is something wrong. my '07 Silvy, Extang frame fits great, I followed their instructions and loosely assembled in driveway and then with the help of a friend placed on my bed rails. I did a (half-ass) job of squaring it up before tightening everything down, which would later on cause the plastic end piece to give out due to the torsional stress created by not being squared..I ordered the replacement part, squared it up correctly and years later haven't had any issues at all..

I have the Extang RT and I can noit for the life of me get it to close if the tailgate is closed. I have to close the cover then the tailgate.

Is it not adjusted right or do i need a lower profile tailgate cap?
    If your cover "snaps" closed like mine, its just the nature of the design...I still have the OEM tailgate cap on and it fits flush with the tonneau when closed..

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"