GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Default Can i get a break! tranny AGAIN! my ranting for the day, GRRRRR

Hi all. well i bought myself a work car about 3 weeks ago.. not a bad buy $850 for a 1997 Buick Lesabre in ok shape the body has some rust and it has 200K miles no (with the 3.8L and 4T60E it should be good for at least 300K im thinking). The thing was i just needed something cheap and reliable to get me from work and home stuff like that to help save on gas plus wear and tear on my truck. Basically because i am tired of finally getting my trucks paid off only to have them be worn out with 200-250K miles on them ( i average 35-50K miles a year). So i took a good look at it, and everything was ok. it needed tires, and the AC didnt work i had my scanner with and no codes or pending codes. there were no check engine lights on, all the fluids looked a bit dirty but not burnt etc. Basically an ok cheap car that needed a little service. So i went and replaced the tranny fluid, t-stat and coolant, engine oil, ball joint, and rack and pinion and tie rod ends. Then the muffler fell off (not uncommon in MN and not a real issue) so i had a new one put on, and of course a decent set of new tires. Good to go, ive put nearly 2K miles on it and love the beast, gets about 23mpg running around town and to work which is 11mpg more than my truck Score right. well yesterday i was paying a bit more attention to everything as i was driving it and noticed the Torque converter didnt seem to be locking properly. Oh great. so i get home and pull the codes, (only one stored) a wonderful P1870 trans component slipping. WTF over, can i win. so i did some digging and friday i get to bring it to my favorite tranny shop to have them diagnose it for me since i dont have the right scanner for tranny codes. Most likely the TCC lockup valve body. HOLY moses i bought my wife a car in Feb and the tranny crapped out on the way home, as most of you know ive gone thru a few cars thanks to major mechanical failure and they werent worth the repairs, but i cant win for loosing these days it seems. so im hoping that it is the TCC solenoid since i can do that myself but if it is the valve body well here goes $400 or so to the shop to get it all good again! I dont want to win the lottery but it would be nice to be rich enough to just buy a new car with no payment LOL... Alright that is my rant for the day, just thought you all would get a kick out of my wonderful choice in cars. Funny thing is the Taurus that i bought my wife is 12K miles and been good so far! woohoo...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Blog Entries

Hey Mike, I will do a little ranting of my own. Planetarys piled up in 4L60E in my 2000 Silverado. Got a burnt up tyanny at junkyard for $50.00 & got hard parts out of it. Trans is all rebuilt & now security has her locked down. Got to go back to junkyard & get an ignition switch cause BCM will not program. Will the money pit never stop? Guess I can handel it though, I am a professional mechanic. LOL KEN.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ken i hate you. im not a professional but i played on in the army.. but i sadly havent had to funds to buy the code reader that i need to do tranny related stuff otherwise i would be doing it myself!

Blog Entries

I think you are on the right track with TCC solenoid, we'll hope so. LOL KEN

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TRANNY PRO View Post
    I think you are on the right track with TCC solenoid, we'll hope so. LOL KEN
    yeah no kidding i hope so as well! we shall see if nothing else i ride her till she blows then change the whole darn thing LOL

Mike, you have the worst luck!! Sorry. Hope its turns out to be something inexpensive.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Mike, you have the worst luck!! Sorry. Hope its turns out to be something inexpensive.
    What is this word "inexpensive"??? yeah me to if it isnt something that can be done cheaply (under$500) then im gonna run the tranny till it is smoked.. Then slap in a junk yard one.. i mean its a beater its not like i want to drop $2K on a new tranny when i can just go get another nicer cleaner buick Lesabre for $2K and use this one for parts.. Ahhh i just want it taken care of asap, so i dont have to do anything in the snow bank this winter!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well as an update to the debocle that is my used car experience. The TCC solenoid is well fried, and i dont care anymore LOL. I found out the tranny is a 4T65E which just means even more of a pita to work on, so im just going to run it till it pukes since ive got a buddy with a spare sitting on the shelf. Ive learned ALOT about the 4T and 4L gm trannies thru this fun though so that is a definate plus.
    One VERY bright note is i found out that the company that i work for has the advanced TECH2 scanner that i need for tranny codes, and ABS codes and all the fun crap and i can use it for FREE!! woohooo no more trouble guessing on ABS crap or wondering about tranny issues when im being to cheap to pay for a shop.