GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Couple of questions?

Hey y'all! I had a couple of questions. First off, I have a 99 GMC Sierra 2500 w/ the 5.3. I'm fixin to change my tranny filter and was wondering if ne one knows if I got the shallow pan or deep pan. Second question, ima eventually level her out, does ne one know whats the biggest size tires I mite be able to run? Thanks yall!

Big Jon-South Carolina
    99 GMC Sierra 2500
    5.3L Stock, Future Plans!

Sr. Apprentice

well, first off its pretty tough to figure out what type of pan you have without looking at it, but mainly just look at the pan, if it looks shallow well its shallow, usualy the deep pans will have a somewhat bulge or just be deep looking, its tough to explain, but if your unsure a helpful tip is to just go to your parts store and buy both filters and then return the one you didnt use. also as for the tire question, what do you mean biggest size? rim size? or actual tire size? i believe they are stock with 16 inch rims and i believe the stock tire size are the 245's but i mean you can fit 265's. but in my honest opinion if your not planning on lifting your truck just keep stock, stock is stock for reason.
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Dear Members, I'm not a certified mechanic i just have a decent knowledge and about 4 years of hands on experience, I'm no way close to a expert but I'm trying to give my best input so bear with my responses please, thanks

Ya, I just bought both filters. Its deep pan, however I have water in my tranny fluid. The truck idles rough and I got to really push on the gas to get er to go. Any ideas? And I want to level it out, not lift it. Dont want it real tall, just a lil.

That's an unusual truck. Non HD isn't very common, this is first one I've heard of with a 5.3. Should be much better on fuel than a 6.0 powered 2500HD.

Do you have a 4L60 or 4L80 transmission?

Water in the transmission is very bad. It's possible that the trans cooler in the radiator is leaking. But that would mean coolant in the trans. Unless the engine is using straight water for coolant.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Sr. Apprentice

just for record non hd's arent that uncommon, i myself on a 6.0 2500 non hd. but anyways im pretty sure (not 100%) that he has the 4l80E but im not sure if they used the 4l60's with the 5.3's. also the 5.3 is doesnt pack as much power as the 6.0 so theres your first issue with having to romp the gas, (just a joke) but you could well should try a basic tune up, seeing how that could cause rough idles and tune ups do nothing but help your truck anyways, also with the leveling i think ive heard that you can just crank up the torsion bars im pretty sure there is a more process then just crankin them up but i think you can level by doing something with them

First off, no toresion bars. Second off, it has radiator fluid in the radiator but not in the tranny fluid, its just water, she's got over 182,000 miles on her and I dont know if the tranny ever been flushed. Would this cause milky fluid? Thanks yall fer yer feed back!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Lister View Post
    First off, no torsion bars. Second off, it has radiator fluid in the radiator but not in the tranny fluid, its just water, she's got over 182,000 miles on her and I dont know if the tranny ever been flushed. Would this cause milky fluid? Thanks yall fer yer feed back!
    I was wondering if that is a 2wd truck. No personal knowledge, but pretty sure lift kits are available.

Factory deep trans pans are 3" deep measuring from the outside. Your truck looks like a 2wd, if so Fabtech and CST suspension have lift kits. I believe Daystar makes a poly spacer to level your truck.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Yup, 2wd, dont wanna lift it to much $. Just a level, thanks though.

This is her!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ForumRunner_20110815_205924.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by