GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: trailer brake

Default trailer brake

I've got a 99 Chevy K1500 z71 with the factory towing package. I'm going to be pulling an 18 ft car hauler with a old musclecar on it weighing approx. 4000 lbs. The trailer has electric brakes on two of the wheels but I don't have a controller to put in my truck. Can anyone tell me what's involved with buying and installing one in my truck? Is there an existing connector already under the dash that I plug into or is it more involved? What should I be looking for in a controller? I do not want to buy an expensive one. I'd like to get off as cheap as possible and wouldn't mind a used one if it would work with what I have already.
    Thanks

I have a cheap Draw-Tite Activator I will sell you for 20 bucks if you want. It's nothing fancy but its never been used. It was installed in my truck right before I bought it. I don't have anything that goes with it, just the controller. I found a wiring diagram online for it if you do buy it. As far as how to install it, that I can't help much with as it wasn't hooked up correctly in my truck.

-Chris
    2000 1500 Silverado 5.3 Automatic. Mods: 3'' body lift, Chrome Brush Guard, American Racing Rims, True Duals strait piped from Cat-back.

People who relieve others of their money with guns are called robbers. It does not alter the immortality of the act when it is carried out by the government.