GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default installing a new stereo into an older rig?

I've got a newer Sony CDX-250 cd player (the cheap best buy model) that i'd like in my '62 chevy. are there gonna be any problems that i'll run into when i try to install a newer cd player into an older truck? the only time i've ever installed a cd player was when i installed the aforementioned sony into my old car, so i'm not sure what kind of problems could come up.

I'm not sure there's going to be an installation kit or wiring harness for the truck, so the wiring and install are going to be freehand. Just as long as you trace out all your wires and double-check before wiring it up, everything should go ok.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Your 62's a 12volt model right?
    Should be much easier than a newer vehicle.
    I doubt you'll find a wire harness or install kit.
    The hardest part will be getting the stereo to fit in the dash safely and properly.
    If the dash hole has been hacked out think about using a metal or plexiglass surround to do the install.

Wiring should go something like but not exactly like the following:

Power wire = Red - to hot from accessory or existing radio in fuse box or direct from battery if all else fails. If you use directly from the battery it wont be key switched and you'll have to make sure you manually turn it off everytime you turn the engine off.

Ground = Black - ground out to firewall, dash, just about anything in that truck that will give a full time good ground, since it's a 62 your choices of grounding points are almost endless, its a real truck made of all metal.

Memory power = color unknown - usually goes to a full time hot wire.

Antennae power = color unknown - if you dont have a power antennae just make sure this wires capped off and wont spark off of anything.

Speaker leads = colors unkown - match left/left right/right, grounds and positives, route to the appropriate speakers.

Directions with the stereo should give you a basic wire diagram for the install.
    If your trucks a 6 volt all bets are off and no offense but good luck with the stereo replacement.
    Try to soldier every connection you can and use heat shrink or some other protective cover over the connections.
    For battery and ground connections if possible use the correct connectors for best results. (bare wires wrapped around a battery post may get the job done but it tends to give you shorts that can blow fuses or fry your stereo).
    Last edited by tbplus10; 09-12-2011 at 04:47 PM.

I'm relatively sure that it is a 12v model. I know that this is something that I'll have to know for sure before I even attempt to wire anything up

UPDATE: the truck's electrical is indeed 12v. I just need to get the doors to lock and unlock and I'll be installing my cd player shortly after

If youve got bucket seats you could use something like a Tuffy center consul to hold your stereo, it'll solve any dash mounting problems and keep the stereo safe.
    I've had one in my Jeep for years and it's stopped more than one thief from making off with the stereo and speakers. 16 gauge steel and hardened locks have a way of doing that though.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    If youve got bucket seats you could use something like a Tuffy center consul to hold your stereo, it'll solve any dash mounting problems and keep the stereo safe.
    I've had one in my Jeep for years and it's stopped more than one thief from making off with the stereo and speakers. 16 gauge steel and hardened locks have a way of doing that though.
    thats an incredibly good idea! i don't know why i didn't think of that earlier. my truck has had buckets swapped in, so it would totally work.