GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 08 Silverado 4x4 starting ?

Ok i have an 08 Silverado 5.3l 4x4. Recently after the truck sits overnight when i go to start it in the morning, it does not turn over immediately like it used to, starter keeps trying to start but it takes probably 5 seconds or so for it to start up. No lights on the dash or anything. Change oil regularly and use Mobil 1. Truck has about 33K miles on it. Bought the truck half way through 2009 brand new. Never had any issues with it. Never had any starting issues. Replaced the battery about 6 months ago. Anyone have any ideas what could be the culprit? Its still under factory warranty, but i know I take it in and they cant replicate the problem, so i end up wasting half of a day of work to not find a solution.
    2008 Silverado LTZ Crew 4x4 5.3L

Stock 20 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ 33's
    Navigation
    DVD
    HD Trailering
    Alumiknox Black Truck Box
    Bilstein 5100's Leveling Shocks

I would recommend taking the vehicle in for a diagnosis. Please feel free to keep me posted regarding the fix either way. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

to give everyone an update............dropped off at dealership yesterday morning, no codes present...not a surprise....then they ran diagnostics and 3 of the 8 injectors were leaking fuel. They replaced the injectors under warranty, but charged my $95 to clean the throttle body (what a rip off). Then on top of that i asked them to reprogram for a different size tire and was told it would be $105 to do it, but they called and told me that it would be $185 instead, are you kidding me, all they have to do is connect the computer and go in and change the revolutions per mile, told them not to bother. I can buy a programmer and do it myself for only a little more than that.

also turns out the injector problem is a service bulletin for at least the 08 year. So if anyone is having that issue take it in before warranty expires.

Well this fix didnt fix it, obviously not an injector problem.....friday afternoon i almost got stranded. Took 4 or 5 turns of the key to finally get it to turn over. Truck is back at the dealership, hopefully they find the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCherry View Post
    to give everyone an update............dropped off at dealership yesterday morning, no codes present...not a surprise....then they ran diagnostics and 3 of the 8 injectors were leaking fuel. They replaced the injectors under warranty, but charged my $95 to clean the throttle body (what a rip off). Then on top of that i asked them to reprogram for a different size tire and was told it would be $105 to do it, but they called and told me that it would be $185 instead, are you kidding me, all they have to do is connect the computer and go in and change the revolutions per mile, told them not to bother. I can buy a programmer and do it myself for only a little more than that.

also turns out the injector problem is a service bulletin for at least the 08 year. So if anyone is having that issue take it in before warranty expires.

Legend

Blog Entries

Good luck in getting it fixed this time. Regarding programming the tire size, you may want to think about buying a programmer. Beyond being able to adjust for tire size, as you probably know, you can do a ton of things with the a programmer.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

just got the call, as i suspected the Fuel Pump is what is bad, this should fix it hopefully!!!! why it took two trips to dealership for this is beyond me.

Mfleetwood what brand programmer do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Good luck in getting it fixed this time. Regarding programming the tire size, you may want to think about buying a programmer. Beyond being able to adjust for tire size, as you probably know, you can do a ton of things with the a programmer.

Legend

Blog Entries

Personally, I would go with a Diablo (either Predator or Trinity) however, I am partial to them for an number of reasons. However, I would suggest using the search function on this forum, type in "programmer" and read the various threads that are out there (and there are several). Depending on how much you want to spend, if you want to be able to get a custom tune, or if you want something simple and easy with canned tunes only, there are plenty of good choices and opinions out there. I believe most, if not all, have the ability to read and reset codes and adjust for tire size as well as tune....after that, then it is mostly based on what additional functions you would need or want in conjunction with how much you are willing to spend.

Good luck!!

Personally, I would go with a Diablo (either Predator or Trinity) however, I am partial to them for an number of reasons. However, I would suggest using the search function on this forum, type in "programmer" and read the various threads that are out there (and there are several). Depending on how much you want to spend, if you want to be able to get a custom tune, or if you want something simple and easy with canned tunes only, there are plenty of good choices and opinions out there. I believe most, if not all, have the ability to read and reset codes and adjust for tire size as well as tune....after that, then it is mostly based on what additional functions you would need or want in conjunction with how much you are willing to spend.

Good luck!!
    i see you have the predator, are the canned tunes any good, can you tell a difference between them and stock? On my old expedition I had an SCT custom tuner. I used it to change tire sizes and ran the 87 octane tune the majority of the time, it helped pickup a few mpg after i had it lifted. Not looking to spend $500 bucks on one, thinking the canned tune might be the way to go.

Legend

Blog Entries

For me, the canned tunes worked fine...and I noticed a difference in performance (not sure about gas mileage, as I did not track it at the time)...and you still have the ability to do some modifications to the canned tunes. However, in consideration of my current mods and when I changed rear-end gears, I decided to get a custom tune (about $100), which also to me was well worth it at that particular time, as the performance increased even more and it really helped to mitigate my loss of mileage when considering my after-market tire size, lift, etc.

what dealer did you buy it from?

For me, the canned tunes worked fine...and I noticed a difference in performance (not sure about gas mileage, as I did not track it at the time)...and you still have the ability to do some modifications to the canned tunes. However, in consideration of my current mods and when I changed rear-end gears, I decided to get a custom tune (about $100), which also to me was well worth it at that particular time, as the performance increased even more and it really helped to mitigate my loss of mileage when considering my after-market tire size, lift, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by