GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default I need help, or a priest to exorcise my truck

Friends,
    I have been working on vehicles for a good portion of my life, I am an amateur, but I'm good enough to have never taken a vehicle to a shop to get it repaired. Today may be a first for me.

Here is my situation with my 1998 Chevy Silverado 1500:
    Back Story:
    On Saturday I was driving and it began to rain, so I turned on my windshield wipers. As the rain let up I went to turn off my wipers, and the strangest thing happened, they didn't turn off. I thought to myself that this was weird. Then suddenly the left turn signal stayed lit, just solid, not blinking or anything. When I flipped the turn signal switch to left I got this irritating buzz sound. Tried the right turn signal and it worked fine.
    I get to my destination (windshield wipers still going with clear blue skies, and left turn signal remaining lit). I turn off the truck and I notice that now my daytime running lights have remained on. As well as the front left turn signal is also staying lit. The rear left turn signal is not on.

So this lead me to believe that it must be the turn signal switch that has gone bad in the truck, seems logical right? All symptoms are connected through this component. So I take the dash apart, and take the switch out. Ordered the part and waited.....got delivered yesterday, so when I came home from work I installed my new turn signal switch and thought everything would be ok.
    Keep in mind, because I was working with electronics I disconnected the battery. So I get my entire dash put back together, connect my battery just to make sure everything is working properly.
    I turn the ignition to the "on" position, but have not started the truck yet. Everything is working find, left turn signal is working fine, I can turn on and off the windshield wipers, daytime running lights are not on. Everything seems dandy. Then I go to start the truck, and sure enough as once the engine is running, all the same symptoms happen again. Windshield wipers are moving even though the switch is off, left turn signal stays lit, turn off the truck, now the daytime running lights are staying on.

I disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes and everything is fine. Again I turn the key to the "on" position, everything is fine. Start the truck, problems again!
    So I disconnect the batter, wait only 2 seconds and hook it back up.....this time the lights are still on. Disconnect the battery again, wait another 5 minutes, reconnect, everything is off.

What on earth is going on?
    Mikey Jones/Orlando, FL 1998 Silverado

Your truck has a electronic board for the wipers located under the cowl near the windsheild wiper motor. Mine went bad in my '96 'Burb years ago and it sounds like what you have going on. I put a aftermarket unit in and no problems since.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Let me ask you this, did you have problems with your lights as well?

No, just the wipers.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Sounds like your "multi-function" switch is causing the trouble. Easy replacement, but shop around for the best price. Try Rock Auto and even e-bay. I've seen those things do all kinds of weird stuff.
    Good Luck and God Bless.

Update:
    Turns out it was the headlight wiring harness under the hood that had a short.
    Part is $600

Thank you for concluding the issue.

All too often we never hear what it was or or the next steps taken to find out.
    2002 Tahoe LS 4x4 5.3 Flex Corvette Servo AVS In-channels JVC KD-PDR80 BB Engine Tune Front Mounted Receiver
    1984 3500 3+3 Crew Cab 350 w/Edelbrock 600 700R4 w/Corvette Servo & manual TCC AVS Surface Mount JVC w/Sub

It was a pleasure Uncle Ed, it drove me insane, I tried figuring it out for 13 hours, and it took the shop 8 days to diagnose what the problem was. Luckily they had a flat diagnosis fee of $105 that went towards the repairs.
    It was a sad day for me, because it was the first time I couldn't figure something out, but considering it took the dealership 8 days to also figure it out didn't make me feel so bad. They said it's a rare thing, I believe I know what happened though. I was out of town for 2 weeks and I left the truck sitting, and I have a lot of squirrels, so I feel that it may have been one of them that chewed through the harness. Because literally the day I got back in town and drove my truck it started doing this.