GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Side Rear-View Mirrors - Manual to Elec

Was looking for replacement side rearview mirrors for my 1991 C1500 and the thought occurred to me to upgrade to electric versions.So, the question would be if it's an easy thing to do?Would the existing wiring harness have the proper plugins to add electric mirrors?A control switch on the dash would seem to be an easy addition, if the wiring were able to accept it.Anyone know what's involved here?Thanks

Jr. Apprentice SkullMountainRider's Avatar

I've seen people put them in old trucks and such, so I couldn't see why not. But, you have to ask yourself if it is a logical upgrade for you. If there is more than one person driving the truck?, where the mirrors are being adjusted a lot because of different peoples preferences, then I think it's a great upgrade. But with only one person driving it, where the mirrors are in the same spot 99% of the time. it might be more trouble than it's worth in the end. If you decide to do it, good luck and keep us posted!!

Well, I am the only driver. But, even now, I'm finding the passenger side mirror is always being "readjusted" often by passing persons. And, realigning the passenger mirror by one's self is a chore of patience.

Besides, don't most elec mirrors also include defrosting? On my other car, I'd vote that one of the most helpful features.

So, again, and back to the original question, is the harness already there to attach an elect mirror?
    Or, what might be needed? Anyone with knowledge of this would be appreciated.

I added power mirrors to my 2001 silverado. The wiring for power features is not in place on 1999+ trucks without those features, but I can't say 100% for your 1991. Each mirror will run off of 3 wires for adjustment (and more if you get mirrors with heat in them) and the switch will match that. Then you just need to run the wires, connect them to the mirror harness, and connect them to the correct wires on the switch harness. The switch will need a power supply, a ground, and depending on your switch, possibly a tap into an illumination wire on your interior to light up with your dash lights at night.

Overall, its not too much work or too hard, its just time consuming to run 3 wires to each mirror and bring power and ground into your door for the switch. If you put the switch on the dash, then you would only have to run the wires to the mirror on the driver door - so 3 wires through that door instead of 5. My mirrors weren't heated, so I didnt add that, but that would only be 2 more wires on each door that you would probably run through a switch to determine when they are on or off.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Default swappin to power

here is a thread I started on my swap.. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...irrors-on-Ebay

Now, keep in mind, I am not done, but it isn't hard at all.. Oh, and no, most power mirrors are NOT defrosting as well. That is another option.
    Though you can get them with defrost.. But that is another switch.. I can recommend getting this switch: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...item19c0d9721c

It comes with the harness and the schematic. Which will make it easier. I went dor the one without defroster, Even though I live in Ohio, lol.. In hindsight, defrost would have been a nice option... Whatever you decide, I am sure you'll have fun, and enjoy the outcome.. nothing like the feeling of seeing it work, and knowing YOU did that yourself.. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have on wiring it up once I get my switch. I am assuming because your asking this question, you have limited experience with wiring and installation.. schematics can be confusing to those who aren't familiar with them.. So, I'll help as much as I can.. I ordered my switch yesterday...