GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 94 K1500. Want stronger springs for heavier loads. options?

Hello all.

I have a 94 K1500 with the Z71 package. I have had it awhile now and love it. Its the first full size I have owned. I am new to chevy trucks so please excuse me if I ask anything that would be obvious.

I have been using it to haul materials for different home improvement projects at my house and it usually does very well for me. However, the load capacity of the truck is not what I expected it would be for a truck of this size. 1 yard of fill almost killed the suspension on it. It was slammed to the ground almost. And The truck can barely hold 20 bags of concrete without taking a huge dip in the rear.

I want to beef up the suspension in the rear so that it can handle heavier loads including towing. What are some of my options?

I was contemplating weather 2500 springs from the same era would work with my 1500 frame. I have not gotten the chance to track down a 2500 so I can compare. A friend who is a chevy truck guy told me that the 1500 and 2500 leaf springs are interchangeable but the 3500 is not.

Thanks for any info guys!

Your best option would be a set of airbags. Cheaper than new springs and much much easier to install. Especially on a Mass truck almost 20 years old.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Do they make an air spring kit? Or are you talking about something like High-Jackers? I didnt realize that air springs could hold such weight. It may be something I look into. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bdiggy View Post
    Do they make an air spring kit? Or are you talking about something like High-Jackers? I didnt realize that air springs could hold such weight. It may be something I look into. Thanks
    Going with Air Bags as Mentioned above is the way to go......Below is a set of Air Lift Air Bags for a 94" Chevy Truck,

Home CHEVROLET C1500 PICKUP 1994 Base RIDE CONTROL KIT

I have this Air Bag set-up on my Truck.....Its a Great Set-up, I won't Tow every again without Rear Air Bags!!

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

i have the same truck as you, almost identical infact. same color and everything. z71.... on mine in the rear when i was removing the shocks i couldnt help but notice the leaf spring holders had enough room for one more. you could do add a leaf which would be really cheap. thats always an option. or i bet getting stiffer shocks would aid in it. does yours have the blistein gas pressure shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowRejects View Post
    i have the same truck as you, almost identical infact. same color and everything. z71.... on mine in the rear when i was removing the shocks i couldnt help but notice the leaf spring holders had enough room for one more. you could do add a leaf which would be really cheap. thats always an option. or i bet getting stiffer shocks would aid in it. does yours have the blistein gas pressure shocks?
    Shock absorbers do not support the weight of the truck.

Products like the Hi-Jackers or coil spring assist shocks can carry a small amount of weight, but they are not a good idea. The shock mounts are not designed to carry heavy weight.

Go with the airbags. They work. I had a pair on my SnapOn tool truck and they worked very well. Took the sway out and leveled the truck.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

I'm going to say the springs from a 3/4 or 1 ton SHOULD fit. Chevy mainly uses 2 lengths of leaf springs on trucks, 52" and 56". The width of the springs should be the same and the main difference is in the number of leafs in the pack. So long as the length is the same, it should work. If you do it, make sure to put new bushings in since you have the springs out anyway. You could probably get a pair of leaf springs out of a junkyard for under $100.

Air bags are also an attractive option. They're going to cost somewhere in the $300-500 range. The nice thing is you can "turn on" the extra load leveling ability when you need it, and turn it off when you're not loaded down. This means you can still keep your smoother ride when empty. I plan to put a pair of bags on my suburban for when I'm towing my camper. Firestone should be the only brand you look to for air bags. They have kits and brackets for most applications.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

AirLift is also a good brand of spring, and cheaper. Should be able to get a set for well under $300.

Keep in mind if you go with the heavier springs you sacrafice ride quality, with airbags you keep the ride quality you have.
    As an avid off-roader I can tell you I know many truck owners that regret giving up the ride they have for stiffer springs on a truck they really only work out once every few months, the rest of the time their commuting in a truck that beats their teeth out of their gums.
    I've done trucks both ways and even though it cost's a little more money I prefer airbags. Yea I'll admit I'm getting older and more of a wimp but I dont think you can show me anyone thats getting younger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast