GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Black Line X or color match front bumper??

I am seriously considering having my front bumper/lower valance done in Line-X. I am getting alot of rock damage to the paint and one area has even got a half dollar size area where the paint has chipped away on the last trip to Los Angeles.

The delima I am having is one, will it even look good?

Two, would it look ok in just black or should I color match. Color matching adds about 300.00 to the price of a truck bed....I am guessing its not much less than that for a bumper also.

Touch up jobs to the bumper are running me about $100 a shot and I have done that twice already. Its about $350.00 to paint the valance. If I do that I would also do the clear vinyl film over it - thats a good $300 just to have that installed.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

I think it would look good although your pickup has much more of a "city" look to it so it may throw off the overall appearance of it. You might try finding someone who can photo shop what it would look like so you can get a good idea.

This link may be of interest to you, I have considered doing my front bumper (scratches and chips), rocker panels (bare metal showing, would like to know how previous owner managed that), and rear bumper (chrome is developing issues) .

http://www.linexpics.com/gallery_view.php?ID=16

I think I would stick with black as the color matched stuff just looks faded to me. This F250 shows that very well

http://www.linexpics.com/images/project/173659.jpg

If you decide to go with the line-x be sure to post pictures as well as what it cost you.

Austin

2008 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab

Spray in bedliner, Coverking seat covers, Bushwhacker bed caps, Lund bug guard, Husky splash guards, Weathertech floormats, rear wheel well liners, toolbox, Raptor Series running boards

Soon to be attending Kettering University

Hmmm....I'm not sure how the Line X would look on your truck, Line X has a much tougher and more textured look & feel to it than paint but idk how it would match up with your other mods, since it looks like your truck is more street/ sport oriented rather than offroad oriented, the Line X might look out of place IMO. Color matching always looks good, but it you might be caught in a perpetual cycle of constantly repainting your bumper since the rock chips will keep coming and damaging the paint....
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

This is an interesting thought. Your front bumper looks great right now being color matched. The problem I see is there really isn't to much black on your truck to match if you were to spray it black. Might just look odd. But I can't really tell! Post some more pics of your truck so we can decide! Everyone likes more pics

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Legend

Blog Entries

I definitely love the look of how smooth your truck is and like Stuart mentions, I also think it would mess with the mojo. I also agree with everyone about keeping the color in-line with your paint scheme and not black. Is there another substance you can use to help with the chips that really won't change your look? I really like how your truck looks now and think you got it right.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I don't think the Line-X would match the style of your truck. 3M makes a clear vynil that comes in differant sizes that goes over the paint. It works well and helps soften the hits on the front end. Most good body shops can get and apply the 3M.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    I don't think the Line-X would match the style of your truck. 3M makes a clear vynil that comes in differant sizes that goes over the paint. It works well and helps soften the hits on the front end. Most good body shops can get and apply the 3M.
    Thanks for everyones input. I got a quote from the dealer where I bought the truck to paint the valance and apply the 3m film for $400.00. That's the route iam going to take. I wil drop it off to them in a couple of weeks.

The quotes to color match line x are about 500.00...pricy and I agree with those of you who said it just doesn't fit the truck.

I think you'll be much happier with the new paint and 3M treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    I think you'll be much happier with the new paint and 3M treatment.
    Ya, my projectors and tail lights have black but I would need to do the rear roll pan and probably do Line-X on the lower panels all the way around the truck to even get it to all tie in. Then I am not sure about texture etc..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front valance.jpg  

I think the texture is fine on 4x4's, but not on a street custom. Our bodyshop guys did trucks fronts and side rockers with the 3M. If its done right you can't even see the 3M.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by