GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default tranny? torque converter?

Hey guys, i have a 97 chevy 1500 5.7 with a auto trans. i was driving last night, doing about 45, in overdrive, and it hit what felt like a neutral, and when i would give throttle i could hear a loud spinning. i put it in 3 and it got me where i needed to go, once i left there to go home, i tried reverse and it made the same spinning noise as overdrive. i went to pick it back up today and i put it in 3 and it was winding and slipping a little. let me add it has 98,000 miles and i just had my trans fluid changed 5,000 ago. any suggestions? thanks alot.

Welcome to the club. Sorry but it sounds like what my '96 'Burb back in 2,000 when the trans needed a rebuild. Have you checked your fluid to see if its burnt? Did you do the trans service? Maybe wrong fluid put back in, wouldn't be the first time someone did this.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

i had it done at a shop, and it looked red on the dipstick. thats kind of what i was thinking. input shaft. but i would hate to fix that to find out it was just a torquee converter

Theres a vent on top of the trans, you can't see it from below. See if you see any trans fluid running from the top of trans. This is what mine did because the trans got hot and blew some fluid out the vent. If you have a scan tool that can look at the trans with live data you can see if the torque converter is locking up and if trans is slipping.