GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default All time four wheel drive

I have a 2001 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra C-3. It has alltime 4 wheel drive. Recently when I turn into my car port and turn the wheels hard to the right, I get the wobble like many of my older trucks used to do when on pavement and in 4Wheel drive. I have never noticed this before with this truck. I recently went on a 3 hour trip and while there made a U-turn and thought the wheels were going to fall off. The truck would act like the front wheels were slapping the fender wells. Backing up or going straight with steering wheel only 1/2 to 1 turn either way would start this happening again. The next day, it was fine and has been ever since. I can't even make it do that any more. I'm baffled.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Welcome to the club. Have you ever changed the idler or/and pitman arm? How about the rest of the front suspension, like tie-rod ends and balljoints?
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

No, I haven't and the Mechanic I took it to just before the trip said the ball joints were in need of replacement. Then he put me on a brand new power steering pump. He said the old one died when his mechanic was test driving it. I am still trying to figure out that one.

But I don't understand why after driving for almost three hours, then making a uturn and a few other normal turns that the truck felt like the front axle was falling off. Now it drives normally and I can't make it act up. Is there any thing that has to do with the four wheel drive that is driven by a computer???

Have you ever serviced the transfer case? They should be serviced (fluid change) ever 40,000 miles. You may want to check, but I think your t/case takes AutoTracll fluid. You have to get it from a GM dealer. Buy 3 qts., it takes alittle more than 2 qts.

If it's full time 4wd, it should have a center differential to prevent drive line wind up. To me it sounds like something got locked up and your tires were popping, because the outside tires in a corner have to rotate faster than the inside, and with a locked differential it will cause the tires to pop, or bounce, because they cannot rotate at different speeds.
    1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 350 cuin TBI in dark Chevy blue
    160,000+ miles
    Original paint
    Original interior
    Original engine and tranny
    wrecked twice stolen once
    Diamond Plate bed rails
    Power windows
    Original Alloy wheels
    Original fancy smancy cup holder
    Tow package
    Original plastic bed liner
    K&N Cone Air Intake
    Dual MagnaFlow exhaust(not true dual) with chrome tips
    MSD Street Fire Performance Ignition coil

Have you ever serviced the transfer case? They should be serviced (fluid change) ever 40,000 miles. You may want to check, but I think your t/case takes AutoTracll fluid. You have to get it from a GM dealer. Buy 3 qts., it takes alittle more than 2 qts.
    No, and I'm sure I should have, but with 180,000 miles, it might be too late to start now. The mechanics in my home town are not the greatest, as you can see. I tried to have the tranny fluid and filter changed years ago. The mechanic said he couldn't get the plug out.

Now that makes more sense than anything I've heard so far. Does that mean that the differential is on it's way out. either in the transfer case or the front end???

Do these transfercases have a lock-up function for the center differential, to equal the torque to the front and rear axle? In that case and if its computer controlled it could be the problem. Computer fuked up or rpm-difference-between-axles-sender fuked up?

I see my old thread has been resurrected. I'm not sure it it's a spam for the yellow pages or an honest question, but I am happy to report that the truck somehow just quit doing the weird lock up thing. I did find out that it's computer controlled. How they control gears and drive shafts with computers is beyond me, but I think a reboot may have fixed the problem like it does so often with Windows.