GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Who makes tonneau covers for GM ?

Does anyone know who makes the covers for GM ? The kind of look like Advantage the way they latch. I bought an Extang but so far two of them dont fit right. I'd like to buy the one from GM but theyre a little pricey and it says you need to have the bed rail protectors. I put this post on another site also. Somebody out there must know !

I put an Undercover Tonneau on my 2011 Silverado. It fits great and I have had no problems with it.

I have the GM tri-fold and I love it. I do not have bed rails and it just covers the beds stake holes when on correctly. Yes they are pricey, but I got mine from a member and he hooked me up!

Charlie
    XS ive1:(^^^)
    2008 Silverado Crew LTZ Southern Comfort conversion
    SoCo cat back duals
    Volant CAI
    6" Pro-Comp lift
    ARE cap with Yakima rack system (winter)
    GM Hard tri-fold tonneau (summer)
    GM rear wheel liners

XS ive2:(avatar)
    2014 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Z71 6.6 DMax/Allison
    6.5" BDS 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
    LineX/wheel liners/OEM tube steps/sunroof/slider/mirrors/Nav/cablights/trifold tonneau

Getting the toys to the track with a 2007 Roadmaster 7X12 V-Nose 7k tandem "Mobile Man Cave".

Legend

Blog Entries

That's odd you say that about the Extang, as members here typically have good things to say about them. I had the Extang Revolution, the model that is level with the bed rails, but then switched it out for the Truxedo that sits on top of bed rails (I needed the extra height to fit a camping gear box in the bed and would still be able to cover). The Extang fit like a glove and I liked the fact that it did not have velcro or snaps to hold it down. I also like my Truxedo as it fits great and has held up well over time.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

We installed over 300 Extangs a year and never had a fit issue. I've had mine on this truck for over 6 years and it still works and fits great.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

You sent a reply on my original post about Extang covers. I understand you've installed a bunch of these. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the same group of pictures that I sent Extang. The customer service guy that Ive been dealing with doesnt know why but even he thinks it doesnt look right .
    The only way the front rail corners sit right on the bed rail is when you put the thicker foam under them Then it raises the rails even higher. I followed the instructions that come in the box to the letter and the rear rail sits way too high if you ask me. I only did one side because I didnt have enough extra foam pieces to do both. I called Extang and they said I shouldnt need all the extra foam to begin with. Thats when they wanted to see what I was working with.
    I hope you guys understand, Im not some bonehead thats never owned a truck before. Ive had these covers on quite a few other trucks in the past and NEVER had any problems.
    Last edited by mikester; 08-25-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Legend

Blog Entries

That wasn't the intent of our responses at all (you being a "bonehead"). Sorry if it came across that way. It was more in the sense that it is surprising, as these are straight forward, easy to install, great quality, and I have never of them not fitting properly (doesn't mean it hasn't happened though). Either you got a couple of bad ones, your truck bed could be little off, or something else of an exception is at play here.

I guess to answer your question directly, no I do not know who makes them for GM but if you are looking for good alternatives that are less expensive, as you elude to, then I would recommend a Truxedo, based on personal experience and what I have heard about them from other members.

I didnt feel like anyone was questioning my abilities but we all know there are some folks out there that will never own a wrench. And there are also guys out there that own them but dont know what theyre used for ! Ive been driving 4x4s since the mid 70s. Long before it became the "fashionable" thing to drive. I usually put the same stuff on each truck that I own. Over the years Ive calmed down a lot as far as spending money on daily drivers. Especially since the newer trucks come with so many options. I would rather spend the money on a part for my car instead of a set of aftermarket rims or lights for my truck. But the cover on the bed is a must !

Legend

Blog Entries

Yep, I agree with you about bed covers..that's why when I could no longer use my Extang due to its low profile, I had to find something that worked for my needs in a more utilitarian fashion; a bed cover is a must for me as well and could not go without having one. I definitely feel you there.

Good luck with your search!!

On the subject of Tonneau Covers has anyone tried or have the BakFlip G2 covers? I like the idea of being able to lock it as well as the hard top being sturdy. Please let me know of your experience on this one or any alternatives that are better.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 Crew Cab Texas Edition. 5.3L
    - Convenience Package
    - 6K HID Kits Highs, Lows, Fogs
    - KN Air Filter
    - Custom Painted Bowties
    - Spray on Bed Liner

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time.
    - Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller USMC -

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by