GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 2003 Tahoe Z71 4L60E External Transmission Cooler Relocation

It appears that my 2003 Tahoe Z71's 4L60E Transmission needs more cooling than the current setup provides. It has an external cooler, as well as, the route through the radiator. It appears that the supercharger's air-to-water intercooler, which sits in front of the transmission cooler, blocks enough air that the transmission fluid is getting too hot? How hot is unknown-Don't have a temp gauge on the trans fluid.
    I have changed to Dextron VI is that enough?
    I would like to relocate the external cooler from behind the intercooler. Is that possible? To where? It needs air flow. It needs protection from road and rocks.
    Is the quick disconnect on the transmission and radiator a pipe thread fitting that can be changed to stainless braid aircraft fittings and hoses? Just to cut off mis-information, I have the quick disconnect tool required to disconnect the line from the transmission fitting. I mean the disconnect fitting that threads into the trans.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

No one seems to have any ideas out there??
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

Sr. Engineer

Appears to be getting to hot? Temperature not known. So what brings you to the conclusion that it needs more cooling capacity?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Hello Bill. Its a holiday weekend so I'm sure alot of people we off the site till the weekend is over. I'm sure someone here can help you.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

might be easier to plumb in another cooler then move the stock one.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

A wise old transmission rebuilder told me to bypass the so-called cooler in the radiator. Its main function is to use the heated coolant to bring the tranny fluid up to operating temp in cooler climates. In warmer climates or under heavy use your engine runs at 210 degrees if not more which is higher then the recommended temps for tranny fluid. I realize that the cooler is on the cool side of the radiator but why would you want the added heat from the coolant transfering to the tranny fluid. He also recommended I run a temp gauge and put in a Flexalite trans cooler with a small cooling fan attached. I mounted it in the return line up under the body. I also change fluid every 6 months with a high quality filter and fluid. He obviously knows his sheet because my 4l60e just rolled over 180,000 miles with lots of towing my 28' toyhauler in the Arizona heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonduff View Post
    A wise old transmission rebuilder told me to bypass the so-called cooler in the radiator. Its main function is to use the heated coolant to bring the tranny fluid up to operating temp in cooler climates. In warmer climates or under heavy use your engine runs at 210 degrees if not more which is higher then the recommended temps for tranny fluid. I realize that the cooler is on the cool side of the radiator but why would you want the added heat from the coolant transfering to the tranny fluid. He also recommended I run a temp gauge and put in a Flexalite trans cooler with a small cooling fan attached. I mounted it in the return line up under the body. I also change fluid every 6 months with a high quality filter and fluid. He obviously knows his sheet because my 4l60e just rolled over 180,000 miles with lots of towing my 28' toyhauler in the Arizona heat.
    With the.....Flexalite trans cooler.....what is your Transmission Temps running at Now??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN