GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BillM View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The most logical move is to get the temp gauge to see for sure. What is causing my concern is that the intercooler is sitting in front of the trans cooler, and the air gap is 1/16 of an inch. Not much of an air gap. There should be at least 3/8 to 1/2 inch air gap. I have already cut away a lot of the grill to get the intercooler mounted. Any more and I will have to get rid of the grill altogether. The 3/8 to 1/2 inch air gap is the normal gap between radiators for effective cooling. Taking into consideration the higher stall speed converter, which generates more transmission heat, and the over heated transmission fluid and fried transmissions by others in my area with the same kind of blowers installed, gives me nightmares. I will start with the trans temp gauge first.
    I have a Mag-Hyteh tranny pan with higher capacity, and am planning to change to Dextron VI. So maybe I am all right.
    Going with a Transmission Temp Gauge is a Item you want to have when Towing, One route you could go and that is swapping out your Dash Cluster's with one from an Escalade or a Denail Dash Cluster, as they have the Transmission Temp Gauge already in the Dash Cluster.......and all of the 2000" and up Tahoe and Suburban's are All Ready Pre-wired from the Factory for the Trans. Temp Gauge.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

The extra capacity in the pan only helps for short term loads, like drag racing, snow plowing, and perhaps hard in town driving. They do nothing for extended load situations like towing heavy loads up hills for example.

Dex VI or Mobil 1 ATF will help slightly with heat buildup, but more importantly the synthetic fluids do not break down as quickly in the heat.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12