GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Reg Cab dome light won't turn off

Hey guys, I got in my truck last nigh, and the dome light just wouldn't go off. I think it usually shuts off in about 10 seconds or so and I waited and it never went off. I even pushed my dome light button and nothing happened. I turned my truck off and waited about a whole minute and it was still on. I eventually had to disconnect the wires from the light to get it to go off as it was getting so hot.

I have no idea why its doing this. Any suggestions? I'd realllllllly prefer not to have to take it all the way back to my dealer (45 minute drive) for the fix.
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

I would suggest checking your wires for the dome light in the roof, up the pillar to the left of the windshield, and under the dash. The dome light has constant power and a switched ground, so that means the problem would have to be a short in the ground wire or the lamp assembly causing the ground wire to be grounded to the truck.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by VictoryRed View Post
    Hey guys, I got in my truck last nigh, and the dome light just wouldn't go off. I think it usually shuts off in about 10 seconds or so and I waited and it never went off. I even pushed my dome light button and nothing happened. I turned my truck off and waited about a whole minute and it was still on. I eventually had to disconnect the wires from the light to get it to go off as it was getting so hot.

I have no idea why its doing this. Any suggestions? I'd realllllllly prefer not to have to take it all the way back to my dealer (45 minute drive) for the fix.
    Another item to check, after the Override (Dome) Button and that is turning the Thumbwheel, located next to the Exterior(Headlights) Lamps Control, If all the way up, In this position, the Dome Lamps will remain ON whether the Doors are Opened or Closed.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Keep me updated in regards to your progress. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions in the meantime. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Another item to check, after the Override (Dome) Button and that is turning the Thumbwheel, located next to the Exterior(Headlights) Lamps Control, If all the way up, In this position, the Dome Lamps will remain ON whether the Doors are Opened or Closed.
    X2.....mine has a button for the dome light above the dimmer switch...which can give you the opposite problem..the dome light won't come on!

These problems are often easy amd its the last thing you check! K I S S - keep it simple stupid. (not calling you stupid!)....just a saying someone use to tell me.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Well problem solved lol. I never knew that the dimmer switch had any effect on the dome light. It was turned all the way up all I had to do was reconnect the light and I turned the dimmer down and everything works perfectly. I guess you learn something everyday. haha. I feel stupid!

Legend

Blog Entries

This happens more than you realize. Isn't it awesome when the fix turns out to be something so easy?? It'd be nice if more problems were solved in this manner!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Well problem solved lol. I never knew that the dimmer switch had any effect on the dome light. It was turned all the way up all I had to do was reconnect the light and I turned the dimmer down and everything works perfectly. I guess you learn something everyday. haha. I feel stupid!
    No worries, just think how silly you would have felt taking it to the stealership.

The Thumbwheel also Controls the Dash lights for the Gauges, so if your Dash Light's are low say at night time, just turn the Thumbwheel up to give the Dash(Gauges) more light.

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    The Thumbwheel also Controls the Dash lights for the Gauges, so if your Dash Light's are low say at night time, just turn the Thumbwheel up to give the Dash(Gauges) more light.
    I knew that they control the dash lights and gauge brightness but I never knew that it had anything to do with the dome light. I like my gauges bright so I had it allllll the way up lol. Guess I know now.