GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Wow - Chevrolet Cruze Eco Got 64 MPG Over 9,552 Miles

I just saw this come to my email and I had to click it. I've been around the Cruze and it's a pretty impressive car, but I had no idea that someone could get 64 mph over nearly 10,000 miles.

Chevrolet Cruze Eco Averages 64 MPG Over 9,552 Miles

URL http://media.gm.com/content/media/us.../0826_cruzeeco

DETROIT – Behind the wheel of an unmodified Chevrolet Cruze Eco an Australian couple set a fuel-efficiency record for the 48 contiguous states. During the 23-day, 9,552 mile trip sponsored by Shell Oil, John and Helen Taylor averaged a remarkable 64.42 miles per gallon.
    That is 50 percent better than the EPA estimate of 42 miles per gallon highway for a Cruze Eco manual, already the most fuel-efficient, gasoline-powered car in the United States, excluding hybrids and diesels. To achieve its segment-leading fuel economy, Cruze’s engineers focused on aerodynamic performance, mass optimization and powertrain enhancements
    For example, the Cruze Eco was the first in the compact-car segment to offer an active air shutter that closes at higher speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag and opens at lower speeds to optimize engine-cooling airflow. Engineers also made more than 42 changes to reduce weight on the Cruze Eco, such as light-weight 17-inch wheels and tires save 21.2 pounds (9.6 kg) per vehicle.
    The Cruze Eco features a standard Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged engine that delivers the fuel efficiency of a smaller engine, as well as the power of a larger engine when needed. The Ecotec 1.4L turbo delivers 138 horsepower (103 kW) and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm) between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. The wide rpm range for the maximum torque – a specific trait of turbocharged engines – helps the engine deliver a better driving experience and performance.
    With the standard six-speed manual, the Cruze Eco delivers an EPA-estimated 28 mpg city, and 42 mpg highway. With the available six-speed automatic, the 2012 Cruze Eco delivers an EPA-estimated 26 mpg city, and 39 mpg highway.
    Shell’s tips for improving fuel economy are available at the Shell Smarter Driving website.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

It actually has surprised me. I have driven from AZ to CA for the weekend. I got about 56 MPG during the long stretches.

nothing really new to be honest. those are good numbers, but they should be. The geo prism I used to drive would do 50 mpg plus on a good day if you drove it decent. and that was with 175k on the clock. new cars with new tech should be able to get 40+ easy, yet companys talk about 35 like it is so impressive.

if these new trucks can get 20+ and wiegh most of 3 tons, a 3000lb car should get over 40. just my opinion tho....

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    if these new trucks can get 20+ and wiegh most of 3 tons,

Alex
    Do you know anyone actually getting 20+. So far I'm not impressed with my new 2012 Tahoe. The claims of 14 city and 21 highway aren't even close. Of course since its hot i drive with the AC on, but I'm getting a combined 13.3. On stretches on the highway i only get 17.5 Im not really complaining, i just expected better. My 2005 Avalanche got 14+ on average.

Haven't had my Cruze that long, but I average about 30-40MPG but I also have a heavy foot!

2009 Chevy Silverado!

Blacked out tail lights + 3rd brake light
    l Tint: 35% front windows and Limo on the rest l Hard wired Valentine One radar detector l Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires with GM CK375 wheels l Hand welded receiver hitch l HID lighting l SMD lighting l Blacked out front and rear emblems l Cherry Bomb Extreme exhaust dumped l 2 Kenwood 12's powered by a Kenwood amp w/ an Base control l

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ---2012 Chevy Cruze
    ---

"Let's just agree that a perfect truck is hard to find, and we'll drive the Silverado till we find it." - Car and Driver