GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Lol surrealone why bother.....................

I also don't run HID's for this reason because it's half assed, I have had so many arguments on this and other clubs about this and no one cares. I am glad I'm not the only one who feels this way though, I always wanted to try and build my own housings like the videos but total cost was about $1,500 and not worth it. I see about 20-30 of these fake HID's everyday on the freeway, everyday I turn my HID retrofitted spotlights on my S10 on (5 of them), and let them see what it's like. It sucks especially if the truck is lifted, keep on keepin on!!
    Like you, I, too, am glad I'm not the only one who did the homework I did. I bother to discuss it because -some- people like to do their homework and want to buy an actual improvement (rather than buy a mere look or appearance). My post was in the hope of saving people of that mindset some time ... time that I had to spend digging for myself. If I have helped someone avoid a land mine or two while making lighting decisions then this thread has paid for itself in terms of the time it took to start it. Similarly, if I have helped even one person decide to retrofit instead of half-bake their HIDs (by installing a HID kit into a halogen headlight assembly) then this thread will also have paid for the time to write it in the form of improved road safety for that person and those around him/her

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    What I don't get is why guys are putting HID's in the 99+ trucks anyway? Personally, I think the lights are bright enough as it is. I had mine re-aimed after I had my leveling kit installed, and I still get flashed in the dark by a random car now and then. And I hardly ever flick my high beams on, lol.
    At the risk of sounding like an old man when I am not, I'll say that most want the look of HIDs and aren't after any improvement. Younger folks, especially, seem to care more about the colour of the lights rather than how well they function... especially among the ricer crowd. I don't know when form began to trump functionality ... but it definitely does with some people. Frankly, I did the diode addition on mine to run my fogs with my lows/highs ... and then slapped 65w bulbs in my fogs after checking amperages to see if I could do it safely. Since the fogs are aimed mostly downward I don't blind oncoming traffic with this and am not flashed, and I can see almost as wide across my vehicle as I can forward when running the lows.

Add it all up and it means I spot deer at the road's edge long before I usually would have without the diode work because I can see wider, yet I'm not adding glare and, thus, not posing a safety hazard to others and myself. I'm street legal with my low beams and fogs on, since my state law permits 4 forward beams to be on ... and it cost me a whopping 20 mins and 10 bucks in diodes and heat shrink tubing to do. (25 bucks if you include the change-over to 65w for the fogs.) That's money well-spent.

Surreal

I was thinking of doing this as well...but it appears the general consensus among many is that it is too risky. In my case, it was both for the possible improvement, as well as looks. I also have been doing research (not as extensive as yours is Surreal) and have decided against it. I like the looks, but I am far from willing to possibly cause damage to the electrical system, or worse. Not to mention, the cost of these kits are outrageous in most cases. Thanks for all the info, it helped me finalize my decision to keep my lighting system stock and spend the money on other upgrades.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Great write-up surreal, looks like you put some solid research hrs into this subject.

Blog Entries

This was very helpful! I think I get it now!
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I've been contemplating aftermarket HIDs. Unlike many who just want to buy a HID kit and slap it into their truck I elected to do my homework, as I know that a lot of what's sold is a) junk and b) can nuke your electrical system. I learned quite a bit through this process and figured I'd share.
    1. The term 'projector' applied to halogens and HIDs is not universal. Halogen projectors and HID projectors are -very- different things. The fact that the same word is used confuses people (me, included, at first), so some clarification is in order.
    2. Halogen projectors are simply headlight assemblies that contain a reflector designed to project the light emitted from a halogen bulb into a tighter pattern than OEM headlight assemblies. That's it -- pretty simple -- standard headlight stuff.
    3. HID projectors are a projector housing, lens, and shroud designed to capture and focus -all- of the light emitted from a xenon bulb into a tight beam pattern. This projector housing resides within a headlight assembly and the shroud and lens are the chief components that set a HID projector apart from a halogen projector. Together, they are what ensures that no light bleeds from behind the xenon bulb and that it is all focused forward into an even beam pattern with acute cut-off.
    4. All currently-marketed, mass-produced aftermarket 'projector' headlights for GM trucks are halogen projectors as of this writing.
    5. Putting HID lamps into halogen projectors will NOT deliver the acute cut-off and beam evenness that real HID projectors deliver -- because the HID shroud and lens are not present to trap all of the light and focus it. Don't waste your money buying projector headlights thinking you'll 'fix' the glare associated with HID kits -- you won't.
    6. You are better off putting aftermarket halogen bulbs into stock lamps or halogen projectors -- as opposed to slapping a HID kit into stock lamps or halogen projectors. It's cheaper, safer for your electrical system, and safer for other drivers. It's also legal everywhere.
    7. Stick to the proper wattages for your high beam, low beam, and fog lamp harnesses if you implement aftermarket halogen bulbs, else you risk creating a fire hazard and also risk electrical problems. If you intend to exceed stock wattages, get a relay kit that uses your vehicle's wiring only for on/off functions and draws power striaght from your battery through appropriately-sized wires. (Example: http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=24_73)
    8. There's no such thing as a 'true' HID kit, no matter what some HID kit manufacturers may say. Real, street-legal (everywhere) HIDs all have/come with HID projectors that entail a bulb, lens, shroud, and projector housing. Some HID kit vendors try to differentiate themselves by saying they're a 'true' kit because they connect their ballasts to relay kits that draw from the battery. While that's an improvement over HID kit offerings that don't do it (because it means if you lose a ballast you don't risk frying some of your electrical system), it's NOT what makes a HID installation the real deal.
    9. If you must have HIDs and you want to do it properly you will need a retro-fit. This is pricey but you will get what you pay for, as nothing else compares to the real deal. (The wannabes with el-cheapo HID kits are obvious when driving down the road when compared with the real deal.)
    10. Here's one installer that does retro-fits (http://www.customlightz.com/?p=p_1&sName=home). There's very good reading here in the 'About Retrofitting' section of the web site. This is HID done properly for vehicles that don't get it from the factory. It's VERY expensive but also worth it if you are not fabrication-minded and you have the greenbacks to do it. Why? Well, you don't create glare for other drivers (i.e. you're not a safety hazard on the road), you don't create a fire hazard in your electrical system, you don't have ballasts that may burn out and take other parts of your electrical system with them, etc. It's also street legal -- everywhere -- and yields the kind of lighting results that have you thinking about HIDs in the first place.
    11. If you want to do a HID retro-fit, yourself, you need to choose and procure your bulb, lens, shroud, and projector housing. Fabrication is then required. The links that follow show a youth doing a HID retro-fit and the necessary fabrication, himself. Watching all 4 videos will help you see how HID projectors are different from halogens and why retro-fits are expensive (they're labor-intensive and the HID parts [lens, shroud, projector housing, etc.] are not cheap).
      Part 1:
      Part 2:
      Part 3:
      Part 4:
      Note: The kid doing the work in these videos has some serious fabrication talent for his age and the tools he's using. It's no small project!

I've personally learned the following things from others' trials/tribulations:
    1. HID kits installed into stock lamps usually end up annoying others ... regularly... due to glare. That's a safety hazard for all on the road and is the reason jurisdictions are making aftermarket hid kits illegal. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Think about this...
    2. HID kits installed into halogen projectors usually make #1 worse, not better.
    3. Cheap HID kits seem to drop ballasts often. A failed ballast can (and frequently does) take other parts of the vehicle's electrical system with it. I know a guy who lost his truck's computer when a ballast croaked. Talk about an expensive fix for what that 'cheap' HID ballast 'saved' him...
    4. Putting 80 or 100W halogen bulbs (Nokya's lamps come to mind) into bulb sockets not designed for these wattages will eventually melt your harness's connection points unless you use a relay harness as noted, above.
    5. Color-coated halogen bulbs just produce more glare. Here's a really good article worth a quick read on the subject: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...uperwhite.html
    IMPORTANT:
    No offense is intended to anyone running a HID kit without HID projectors. I like to do things 'right' instead of half-arsed, which is why I won't be putting HIDs into my own vehicle. If I were talented enough to do the necessary fabrication work OR if I could afford a retro-fit without sacrificing other things ... I'd absolutely do it. I will not, however, half-arse the install with wannabe HIDs. (Besides, who wants to be a wannabe???) Instead I'm going down the aftermarket bulb path to improve the light I get out of my 2004 Sierra's (OEM=55w) 9006 low beams and (OEM=65w) 9005 high beams. I am contemplating replacing my (OEM=37w) H10 fog light bulbs with 9005's, as well -- but am not liking the idea of adding a relay for it, so we'll see.

Surreal

P.S. I hope this proves helpful to others and saves people research I had to do, myself. I nearly bought halogen projectors hoping to fix HID kit glare. Bleah...
    Cheri
    Chevy Trailblazer LS 4x4
    Seattle, WA

Sr. Apprentice

thanks for the write up, i didnt know a lot about HID's before and have toyed with the idea of getting some, but i think im just gonna look for some good bulbs, surreal do you have any suggestions?
    Go-Recon "xtreme" amber scanning tail gate light strip, Cobra ultra2 CB radio W/ 4 foot firestix antennas, dual exhaust with 40 series single in dual out muffler, 305/65R17 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ on 17 inch Mickey Thompson Side Biters, 3 inch body lift

"when the going gets tough the tough get cyclic:fighting0019:"
    "use the force luke:fighting0040:"

I'm running Cyrstalvision Ultras in my lows, highs, and fogs. They're 4000K color temp, so it's very white light. (It's not high enough in the color spectrum to have any hint of blue.) I'm very happy with them. (Happy enugh that I ran the lows/highs as a test for 4 months ... and just recently did the fogs.) They're not HIDs, but betweem the bulbs, themselves, and the diode work to have lows w/fogs and highs w/ lows & fogs on ... I can see a country mile.

Note: I wanted to try Nokya's Cosmic White bulbs but could not find them in anything except Arctic White Stage II. (Nokya's Stage II bulbs are all high wattage -- as in beyond stock for our harnesses).

Surreal

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I'm running Cyrstalvision Ultras in my lows, highs, and fogs. They're 4000K color temp, so it's very white light. (It's not high enough in the color spectrum to have any hint of blue.) I'm very happy with them. (Happy enugh that I ran the lows/highs as a test for 4 months ... and just recently did the fogs.) They're not HIDs, but betweem the bulbs, themselves, and the diode work to have lows w/fogs and highs w/ lows & fogs on ... I can see a country mile.

Note: I wanted to try Nokya's Cosmic White bulbs but could not find them in anything except Arctic White Stage II. (Nokya's Stage II bulbs are all high wattage -- as in beyond stock for our harnesses).

Surreal
    where did you get your bulbs? the ones i have now are decently bright but id like something a little bit better, since i have a tendency to drive down a lot of roads that dont have any light at all
    Go-Recon "xtreme" amber scanning tail gate light strip, Cobra ultra2 CB radio W/ 4 foot firestix antennas, dual exhaust with 40 series single in dual out muffler, 305/65R17 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ on 17 inch Mickey Thompson Side Biters, 3 inch body lift

"when the going gets tough the tough get cyclic:fighting0019:"
    "use the force luke:fighting0040:"

I don't know that a bulb change, by itself, is going to get you a pile more light. The Crystalvision Ultras certainly seem to produce a bit more than OEM, but key to the added visibility is the color temp change. Perception of brightness and measured brightness are two distinctly different things ... and what's key to this difference is context. Whether or not a color temp change will work to your advantage is truly dependent upon how you physically perceive the world.

Here's some reading to help elucidate what I'm getting at, since it's about as clear as mud. It's long but worth the read, especially when you hit the optical illusions that are merely generated by the use of different colours and shapes. When you hit this section you can begin to appreciate the various aspects of vision ... and hopefully can see why a color temp that works well for me may or may not work for you -- we all have different perception thresholds, including with colors.

Try to imagine different shades of light on many, many shapes, while moving ... and extrapolate a bit.
    http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/course...-contrast.html

Surreal

P.S. I ordered my bulbs from Amazon. I'm an Amazon Prime member so I get free 2-day shipping on things they stock -- hence why I ordered from them. Pricing's usually good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtsjj View Post
    thanks for the write up, i didnt know a lot about HID's before and have toyed with the idea of getting some, but i think im just gonna look for some good bulbs, surreal do you have any suggestions?
    I swapped my stock lights for RECON's xenon Diamond White bulbs, and couldn't be happier. Definate difference from the original halogens.

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac