GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Well everyone has there opinions but i do know that projectors will not blind people running hid's compared to stock headlight housing and projectors have a steady beam of light people might not think it makes a difference but all in all it does you want know until you spend the $400 on good quality projectors.My hid's power up within 2 seconds on my truck when they do they are more of a dark blue but for some reason when i crank the truck that dark blue tint changes to more like a whitish blue color would you know why that would happen?

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarrchevy81 View Post
    Well everyone has there opinions but i do know that projectors will not blind people running hid's compared to stock headlight housing and projectors have a steady beam of light people might not think it makes a difference but all in all it does you want know until you spend the $400 on good quality projectors.My hid's power up within 2 seconds on my truck when they do they are more of a dark blue but for some reason when i crank the truck that dark blue tint changes to more like a whitish blue color would you know why that would happen?
    If I am reading it correctly they turn more white once they are warmed up...thats normal as they warm up.

I have projectors that came with halogen bulbs but I changed them out to the HID kit I already had installed. The manufacture recommended 35watt HID as anything more would melt the projector housing.

My output is better with the HID bulbs and the cut off line with the projectors keeps everyone happy. With a daily driver I try to keep things simple when it comes to Mods.

Projectors Look good - Check

Light out put exceeds stock - Check

Truck wont catch on fire - Check

Is it safe and Legal - Check

Dodge and Ford owners envious - Check

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

haha yeah i like your point man. I know everyone has there preference in hids but 10,000k were actually recommened to me when i bought them so i went with them. I thought they would be allot brighter than they were because people driving around with hid kits on stock housings. The lights i have are bright but don't look as bright since they are not scattered and is one single beam. I really don't get when people say hid's are too bright now being if you have the right setup it actually looks really good. If anyone wants to know my opinion halogens in stock housings are really bright since i got flashed every other night and now with seup with projectors and hid's only got flashed once and was about a week ago.

AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Door Molding Removed

Trucks catching on fire has nothin to do with wattage of bulbs and all I'm saying is through experience as a professional in the trade AND a current electrical engineering student, kelvins are a fixed value of light, 6,000 IS the brightest, that's a fact not an opinion, kelvins are like wattage, it's the same in all devices.

Trucks burning down is a result of cheap ballasts (transformers) that aren't variable and cannot handle the reduced voltage input from the output of our light harness, this inefficiency creates heat in heaped ballasts because they are operating closer to ground (higher impedance).

If you don't want to take my word that's fine but ask an engineer or another professional installer and they will tell you the same thing. It is an expensive upgrade (done correctly) for VERY minimal if any gains.

zigger,
    Hard data tends to mean little to people who say 'everyone has their opinion'. Such a statement demonstrates a preference for opinions over facts when it's used to discount/ignore facts (as it has been, thus far, in this thread).

It's interesting, too, that someone doing this would appeal to a recommendation as a factual data point ... and then ignore actual data points from people with engineering degrees. It's more interesting, still that people would bother arguing provable facts by countering with opinions. I've also noticed that people who appeal to opinions rather than hard data seem to do so in justification of choices they've already made -- usually choices that vary from what the hard data suggests -- but that's just an observation on my part and is, thus, subject to a failure to interpret the observation properly.

Hopefully people seeking information and facts who find this thread are able to separate the facts from the fiction/opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    Trucks catching on fire has nothin to do with wattage of bulbs and all I'm saying is through experience as a professional in the trade AND a current electrical engineering student, kelvins are a fixed value of light, 6,000 IS the brightest, that's a fact not an opinion, kelvins are like wattage, it's the same in all devices.

Trucks burning down is a result of cheap ballasts (transformers) that aren't variable and cannot handle the reduced voltage input from the output of our light harness, this inefficiency creates heat in heaped ballasts because they are operating closer to ground (higher impedance).

If you don't want to take my word that's fine but ask an engineer or another professional installer and they will tell you the same thing. It is an expensive upgrade (done correctly) for VERY minimal if any gains.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    zigger,
    Hard data tends to mean little to people who say 'everyone has their opinion'. Such a statement demonstrates a preference for opinions over facts when it's used to discount/ignore facts (as it has been, thus far, in this thread).

It's interesting, too, that someone doing this would appeal to a recommendation as a factual data point ... and then ignore actual data points from people with engineering degrees. It's more interesting, still that people would bother arguing provable facts by countering with opinions. I've also noticed that people who appeal to opinions rather than hard data seem to do so in justification of choices they've already made -- usually choices that vary from what the hard data suggests -- but that's just an observation on my part and is, thus, subject to a failure to interpret the observation properly.

Hopefully people seeking information and facts who find this thread are able to separate the facts from the fiction/opinion...
    I think you guys are taking all of this way overboard. Nobody is discounting your technical prowess your laying down in this thread, however, most people dont employ the Herman Grid when buying their HID kits.

I highly doubt anyone seeing your trucks with any retro fit HID setup is going to say " Wow..that guy has the Herman grid down!" I am not opposed to anyone recommending a better setup, but I do take offense to someone thinking their way is the only way and if it isnt done that way its crap.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

I agree man. I think everyone has there own thoughts about things that is everyday life to be honest. I think they are taking this all wrong but as far as the hid's in the projectors i know i'm right it's common sense. Either way in my OPINION anything over 10,000k doesn't look good but also in my OPINION 10,000k look better than 6,000k. Idk why they were saying in my opinion when it is about what you like and what you want. I never even said anything about what is brighter but brighter is not always better if it's not as well setup as projectors. All in all everyone needs to chill out lol get real haha.

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    I think you guys are taking all of this way overboard. Nobody is discounting your technical prowess your laying down in this thread, however, most people dont employ the Herman Grid when buying their HID kits.

I highly doubt anyone seeing your trucks with any retro fit HID setup is going to say " Wow..that guy has the Herman grid down!" I am not opposed to anyone recommending a better setup, but I do take offense to someone thinking their way is the only way and if it isnt done that way its crap.

AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Door Molding Removed

I'm not sure this is quite the right place for this, but has anybody looking into swapping Halogen with Xenon? Just tryin to figure out if I was that fool who was quickly parted with my money!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Xenon hid's right?

AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Door Molding Removed

1. People are calm. Nothing is out of proportion.
    2. Fact-based approaches are clearly more grounded than opinion-based approaches, no matter the topic.
    3. I started this thread to shed some light (pun intended) on some useful and little-known facts ... so that people could make informed decisions rather than only having the 'I think this looks good' and 'I'll take a shot in the dark/guess' methods of approach to their market choices.
    I did not start this thread to engage in a 'I think this is what works/looks good' discussion. That's a completely different topic... meaning we're off topic.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast