GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help! Leaking Water!!

hey everyone hurricane irene left its mark on my truck (08 2500hd)! i went out this morning and discovered a puddle of water on my passenger floor. i dont know where it came from.. the headliner is dry and so is the a-pillar i have recon cab roof lights but never expirienced problems with this. anyone out there have this problem? please help!!
    2008 CHEVY 2500HD CREW CAB 4x4 LS 6.0L

VOLANT COLD AIR INTAKE
    RECON SMOKED CAB ROOF LIGHTS
    RECON LED INTERIOR DOME CONVERSION
    GIBSON SIDE SWEPT EXHAUST
    RBP 4 1/2 EXHAUST TIP

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie11 View Post
    hey everyone hurricane irene left its mark on my truck (08 2500hd)! i went out this morning and discovered a puddle of water on my passenger floor. i dont know where it came from.. the headliner is dry and so is the a-pillar i have recon cab roof lights but never expirienced problems with this. anyone out there have this problem? please help!!
    That is weird...I have seen that when heater/AC coils go bad in older GM trucks and it leaks on to the passenger floor board. Did you check to see if its coming from under the dash?

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

do you have a sunroof? Did you drive it during the storm? go in any deep puddles?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Has your concern been resolved? Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I would be happy to look into this for you as well with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Sr. Apprentice

Same here!! I have an 04 Extended Cab and never had an issue with water but the next day after the storm was gone my carpet is soaked but no signs of where it came from. I don't have any cabs lights and all the door seals looked to be in perfect condition. The door sills and all the seals were perfectly dry. From my research on here it may be due to a bad windshield gasket. As soon as I started to lift the carpet down by my pedals though I noticed that they are starting to rust so I wonder how long this has been a problem and just the amount of rain we got made it more noticeable. I didn't have any standing water, just a soaked through carpet all throughout the truck.

Jr. Apprentice

Not sure if anyone is still working through this one but I had a similar issue on a 96 C3500. Carpet started getting wet and I checked all over. Replaced the cab lights, door seals, windshield, etc. The truck a toy/camper hauler so I was lucky and could keep it in the garage most of the time. Due to time availability it took me about 4-5 years of messing with it but I finally found the leak last year. The seam sealer had failed where the firewall wraps around and goes down the side. I pulled the front clip off, ground out all of the old seam sealer and replaced it with new 3M, painted it and a year and a half later no problems...and some major rains when it was out this past summer.

Not sure if the 08s have any kind of similar problem but if nothing else shows fruitful may be something to check. To find mine I spent a weekend with a hose running very low so I could target a very small area. I pulled the carpet and trim up and then would get in the cab with a flashlight for 5-10 minutes at a time and watch. When I put pointed the hose in between the fender and firewall it was like a waterfall.

Maybe another thing to look at.

Wow, thats different!

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3
    Factory Tint
    Recon Taillights
    2.5 ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    Low Profile Toolbox
    Westin Nerf Steps

I am dealing with a water leak right now. I removed the entire interior including all trim panels. Water leaks are hard to trace without doing this.

However, if you had water ONLY after a hurricane, and not when it rained normally, you could simply have had water leaking in through a seal on an extended cab side window (if you have one) or it could have come through a door seal that has nothing wrong with it, but it had wind blowing exceptionally hard for an extended time period, so water penetrated at a certain point and you found it on the floor later.

If you are concerned, you have to take out at least your carpet to trace where the water is coming from. It is not easy, but you can do it. Simply remove the seats and restraints at the floor anchors, and remove or loosen side trim panels where they meet the carpet, and the carpet should come out. Once it is out, yes the vehicle will be noisy to drive but you can then put paper towels, newspaper or other things on the floor and see where the water comes onto the floor when it rains.

If you don't dry the carpet and pad (more water is in the pad) completely, it will mildew. You will likely NEVER get all the mildew smell out of the vehicle if that happens. So I highly recommend removal of the carpet and pad to dry it out and perform the work to try to trace the leak.
    Last edited by The Heater; 11-12-2011 at 07:41 PM.