GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluavalancheZ71 View Post
    Thank you fleetwood, the chart helps. But 1 concern, question I have is will I need to get a new carrier for the front diff will it all fit in the case?
    Since I have the 6 speed and reading the other posts about this I'm really considering going to the 4.11's and calling it a day
    When I was shopping around for my 4:56 gears, I was told that I have the smallest housing; however, no one mentioned that there could be a problem with them fitting, but I did get a few recommendations to get rid of my G-80 since I do a ton of off-roading and the smaller rear-ends like I had tend to blow up pretty easy when 4 wheeling.

With my 4:56 gears, my 4" lift, and my 34.5" tires, I am still getting about 14mgh city and 18mpg hwy....but I also have it custom tuned and some other mods that help with getting better mileage. I leaned toward the side with a little more power and less mileage, as this is not my everyday driver and I spend a lot of time climbing hills. I'd go with the 4:11s with your set up...I think you'll be happy with the extra power and won't really notice the mileage difference (too much!) .
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 08-30-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I do have several other upgrades done to the truck, like a corsa cat back exhaust, banks ram air intake and an edge power programmer. I appreciate the help, but I have 1 more question what size axles are in these trucks now a days both the front and rear so I can start looking at prices. I was considering canning the G80 rear in favor of a detroit e locker

4.10. 56's would be way too steep with the 6 spd. Most charts out there do not take into consideration the ratios of the newer 6 spd transmissions. You have an 8.5" 10 bolt.
    Last edited by Blackout07; 08-30-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout07 View Post
    4.10. 56's would be way too steep with the 6 spd. Most charts out there do not take into consideration the ratios of the newer 6 spd transmissions. You have an 8.5" 10 bolt.
    I have the same transmission and with 8.5 / 10 bolt.....you be surprised how effecient the Od is! Everyone told me I would be pushing 3000 RPMs with the 4.11 @ 75MPH.....at 85 I am just hitting 2500 rpms....the truck isnt even working hard at that range.

Depending on how much freeway driving he does I think 4.56 would be fine.

I used this calculator when figuring my new gears and it was pretty much dead on. I use .70 for the OD ratio...

http://www.rearendparts.com/pages.php?pageid=16

With 4.56 @ 80MPH it puts him at about 2500 RPM.......his engine can take that all day long.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

I thinking about regearing and i was looking at the Gear Ratio Chart. I see that with me upgrading to 35's soon next year a 4.56 would bring it back to factory ratio and 4.88 and 5.13 have more power gains. I do drive on interstate a bit and wonder if the rpm's would be up too high for running 35/12.50/R20 20x12 rims along with 4.88's or 5.13's? I assume the 5.13's are too much for highway purposes and think the 4.56's and 4.88's would be better..?

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

As I've mentioned before on this site I don't like any gear more than a 4.56 in a 1/2ton axle. Because the axle housing is small the ring & pinion have to be small so the when you machine more teeth on the ring & pinion the teeth are thinner in order to get all the gear teeth so when you go over 4.56 the teeth are getting thin. Go with 4.56's.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Oh okay thanks for letting me know had no clue. I found 4.56 gears for front/rear for around $440 which i guess isn't that bad. I would rather me and my buddy install them i want be paying labor for this! How hard is the install and how long will it take for both front/rear?

I also will buy the Maghytec cover for my rear diff. when i buy the gear's. I plan on buying gears and cover first then buy new tires and rims along with my body lift!
    Last edited by Rockstarrchevy81; 08-31-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    I have the same transmission and with 8.5 / 10 bolt.....you be surprised how effecient the Od is! Everyone told me I would be pushing 3000 RPMs with the 4.11 @ 75MPH.....at 85 I am just hitting 2500 rpms....the truck isnt even working hard at that range.

Depending on how much freeway driving he does I think 4.56 would be fine.

I used this calculator when figuring my new gears and it was pretty much dead on. I use .70 for the OD ratio...

http://www.rearendparts.com/pages.php?pageid=16

With 4.56 @ 80MPH it puts him at about 2500 RPM.......his engine can take that all day long.
    Driving in 6th on the interstate he will be fine, but city is a different story. The final drive ratios in the 6 spd are a good bit higher numerically. 3.73's in a 6spd in 1st gear is like having 4.88's in a 4 spd. Rockstar, I certainly wouldn't attempt a gear install unless you/your friend are well versed. Gears are very tricky business and can easily fail and whine if not setup perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout07 View Post
    Driving in 6th on the interstate he will be fine, but city is a different story. The final drive ratios in the 6 spd are a good bit higher numerically. 3.73's in a 6spd in 1st gear is like having 4.88's in a 4 spd. Rockstar, I certainly wouldn't attempt a gear install unless you/your friend are well versed. Gears are very tricky business and can easily fail and whine if not setup perfectly.
    Yeah me and my buddy have it he works at the Gm dealership he's a mechanice he knows just about everything about the nnbs silverado ha!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12