GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Hurricane Irene.

Well, just to share my frustration a bit. Hurricane Irene is on its way here. VB is right in the crosshairs so to speak. Should be here late saturday early sunday. the unfortunate thing is my leadership here is not being proactive at all. A cat 3/4 hurricane is knocking on the door, and they seem more worried about issued equipment inspections. they wont tell us if were going to evacuate or what. Part of me just wants to split but i really can't do to money issues.

Not sure if I really should even be posting this but im so frustrated and stressed and pissed I don't know what I should do.

Good luck to anyone else on the east coast.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

We lost our home in '05 when living in Florida to hurricane francis. A cat 3/4 hurricane is not to be taken lightly. If you don't leave try to get a generator, gas, water and canned foods. (spam and canned beans are great, can eat without cooking). You need two weeks worth of food. You have to take care of yourself, don't depend on FEMA. If you decide to leave you need to go now so you don't get caught up in a giant traffic jam. Good luck and stay safe.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Legend

Blog Entries

That sucks!! Hopefully, Irene will change her path back out East and away from land. If/when the day/time comes in which a decision needs to be made about whether to stay or go....err on the side of staying safe. The money is not worth the risk...plus, God forbid if you do get injured, then you will probably end up with less $$ anyhow. I definitely feel your frustration but you gotta take care of yourself and loved ones first!
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 08-25-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

After being stationed in Norfolk/VaBch a couple different times I can tell you commands there wont issue any evac orders until its positive Irene is hitting the area.
    All evac orders come from NAVCOMLANTFLT before any command can do anything official, in the past some commands locked down to duty sections and given a 96 hour liberty with a phone in muster but commands with aircraft or ships have to be prepared to sail or fly out at a moments notice.
    If your on a ship you may as well send family out now because the ships will head out Friday or Saturday and they'll insist all hands be aboard, squadrons will send aircraft away (probably to Texas, Florida, and NOLA) and secure personnel to get by as best they can, if your shore stationed then they'll wait untill friday night to give any word.
    That area has been lucky in the past and very few hurricanes have blown through so most commands rely on that luck to hold.

@TBplus. that would all be fine well and good if I was navy, but im US Army on Ft. Story.

as a update, just found out this mor ning that they seem to hav ewoken up a bit, they cancelled the NBC/gas chamber they had planned for today.(not sure what battalion was thinking, just anounced in yesterday....) but as of today we are on hurricane prep, moving vehicals indoors, prepping generators and lightsets, prepping for making sand bags. bout damn time.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Cat3-4 is bad-AND IRENE IS A BIG ONE AT THAT!
    Katrina was just a Cat 3 when it hit the Gulf Coast,and just a weak 3 strong 2 when it hit NOLA.
    What is your elevation- where your family actually lives?
    Does your area get street flooding from heavy rain or from the rivers around there?
    My impression is on the East Coast(except for the barrier islands) the elevation increases pretty quickly once you move away from the beaches
    Wind is bad, but water-storm surge and rain caused street flooding- is much worse.
    Good luck- lets hope Irene moves out to sea.
    Charlie
    PS- flashlights/batteries/ battery radio/water/bread/ peanut butter/canned milk/prescriptions/full gas tank/pet food(they can-and will- eat people food of course)gun/ammunition( trigger lock if young kids around)/juice like cranberry/grape/apple-stuff you don't need to put in a fridge/ice chest/ice(cheese cold cuts milk)
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Don't forget toilet paper, most people forget that one!Your wife will love you when you pull out the roll of T/P.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    @TBplus. that would all be fine well and good if I was navy, but im US Army on Ft. Story.
    Oh well then your screwed because I dont remember them ever evacuating, they always kept personnel behind to conduct civil defense and clean-up operations.

another update, may be the last one for a while.

mandatory evac starts noon tomorrow. snagged 20 sandbags for the doors on the house. moving suff to seconed floor tonight/tomorrow morning. grabbing the cat, some food and scooting by 10am.

and some TP :-D

Alex

Good luck man!! I'm a midwest guy so I've never had to deal with any of this so I can't help ya much! Just hope your home will be there when you get back and all loved ones will be in good hands!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast