GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Antenna Delete

Smile Antenna Delete

After looking around on this forum for some idea to do to my truck I came across this (http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...e-Your-Antenna). It is something small but that makes the truck look better.

I started taking the steps from the thread above, but I couldnt find the L bracket that I need, so I came up with this!

Took off the antenna and the cover to expose the mounted piece.

Step 1: I had available 12 gauge wire, cut it about 5 feet long, and exposed the copper wire at one end. Took the copper wire and wrapped it around the mounted piece.

Step 2: The rest of the wire I ran it in between the cab and weatherstripping around the door, I stop the wire near the back of my door.

Step 3: Found a nut and a washer that fitted the antenna bolt, painted it black and tighten down

Step 4: Bought the smooth cover from a Escalade, part # for the trim piece: GM part #15287179.

AND DONE

On the question everyone is probably asking, does it work as well as before. I say that it does not work as well, but it is a very small
    difference that I couldnt really notice. I also have a HD radio in my truck and I still could pick up all the same station with no problem. I wouldnt same it is the best way to delete your antenna, but with what I had to work with I am pretty happy, just had to buy the $25 replacement cover.

So I had to share and I would recommend doing it
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Looks great! It's amazing how much such a simple mod can clean up the front end of your truck.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

I was tired of my ugly flimsy antenna so i bought one that was gloss black it's a 6 inch AMI Big Stick it isn't flimsy at all and it's painted like i wanted it to be and not big and ugly like the stock one. I got it for about $35 but made the truck look allot better. The idea you have is also a good mod looks great bud!

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

Thanks guys, I must say I do like the way it cleans it up a bit. Rockstar I was think about getting a shorty antenna like you did, if this mod didnt work. All I can say anything looks better than the stock antenna

Just another idea to clean up a bad design:

Got it from Carccessory dot com.
    The Cheap-*ss Modder & Thread Killer
    The Realist says, "The glass is too big".

2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z60 4WD Crew Cab
    Mineral Green Metallic w/ Tan Leather Interior
    5.3 L FLEX w/AFM, 6A, Cheap-*ss Mods
    32 Dump Club Member
    Range V8 AFM Eliminator

Big Blue that looks really good, I know with nnbs you cant really do the delete but a shorty like that does clean up your truck still

Hopefully not too far off topic, but how many are old enough to remember when GM was putting the antenna inside the front windshield? I remember on our '75 Blazer the little antenna wires inside the glass. I expect they got away from that because it made windshields too expensive.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Then why does my 2007 Tahoe have a clean outside, while my 2009 GMC Sierra had that buggy whip on it? Same body style essentially, and they hang 37" of antenna on the truck where it could be snagged by a tree limb in the woods (Z71-4X4). Their logic department must be outsourced to Mrs. Brown's first graders. Just kidding, because I know most first graders are WAY smarter than most of the engineers at the "new" GM.

How's the reception with that shorty? I've toyed with the idea of doing something with the antenna for a while, but really just stopped thinking about it. Part of the reason is that there's still a drive in not far from where I live and they have little clips that connect to the antenna. I haven't yet been smart enough to figure out a better way to connect it as those clips are less than perfect. Though at this point I might just take the antenna off, strip off the clip they provide and wire it directly in. That might be an improvement.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp