GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Head unit choice

Hello,

I need to replace the head unit in my 2000 Suburban LT. It has the factory sub and those 2 little speakers in the very back as well as the 4 door speakers, but not the Bose sound system.

I'm looking at 2 JVC models right now, that have different preamp options, but I'm not sure which would be better for the Suburban.

The KD-R720 has 4 channel preamp outputs and switchable rear preamp outputs

The KD-A625 has 6 channel preamp outputs but no swithcable rear preamp outputs, but it does have a specific sub preamp with a built in crossover.

Given the speaker setup in my car, which option am I better off going with? The 6 channel preamp outputs or the 4 channel preamp outs with the switchable rear?

Thanks for the assistance!
    Last edited by Philip Senechal; 09-12-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Are you adding amps? If not then the 4Ch will be fine.. Although haveing a built in Crossover will make your factory speakers sound better. JVC's Power is about 14-16 watts RMS which is a bit weak. And the AM sen is low..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I owned a JVC unit years ago, and it was nice. However, another brand may provide even better value. The factory sub should have it's own amp, so the JVC power won't matter... just know that some factory amps have additional installation requirements.
    I like you.

Great...thanks for the info guys. Since I have 4 door speakers and those smaller speakers in the rear lift door, I'm wondering if I should go with a 6-channel. I'm not planning on adding any amps right now, other than the factory one that comes with the sub.

What seems to be the most popular brand head unit replacement for people here?