GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default What`s it worth.

I have been trying to sell my 88 Burb without much success.It has a rebuilt 6.5 diesel and a straight rust free body.Needs a paint job and a few minor things but has many new parts including a radiator.Its a 2500 4x4 with a warn winch.I figured that the rust free barn door body would be worth something as well as the motor and new parts but I am not getting a lot of interest.Really what is a rig like this worth.I would welcome any comments.Just got a call on it from Canada while I was writing this.Not trying to sell it on the forum but I need help pricing it fairly.

What are you trying to sell it for? A decent price can be quickly figured by watching both your local craigslist and autotrader sales for a week. The ones that sell are priced right... the ones that are still listed are priced too high. I wasn't pricing your body style when I searched for mine, but I quickly found out the range for 1999 year models selling in my area.
    I like you.

If it wasn't half a country over, it would be sold to me in an instant. I love that bodystyle, been wanting 4x4, 3/4 ton, and the 6.5 diesel spearately.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Crawdaddy- I follow CL- just NOLA CL- I usually see one or two of those diesels a year.The last ones I saw had really beaten up bodies-real POS "RUNS GOOD"-the asking price was low-under $2000 is my memory- but they were junk money pits.
    I would guess a good body 88 4x4 with a proven "good motor trans" would be worth maybe $3000-$4000 or so around here-maybe $1000 more if the AC works.

Where the OP is-Oregon-I would guess a 4X4 would be worth a bit more.

If the paint is really horrible that turns some folks off and sometimes makes it a tougher sale.
    Here in NOLA it would sell quickly at $2500-OK at $3500- very slowly at $4500- never at $6000(now it might be worth $6000 to someone if you can prove the rebuild motor injection "stuff" etc)
    Some folks LOVE DIESELS!!(but a used one can be a horrible money pit if it needs work-wearas a SBC 350 you can always get a new genuine Goodwrench for $2000 dropped curbside-one of the main reasons folks love those 350- 5.7-cheap to fix reliable )
    In NOLA we have a lot less rust than the midwest and NE. Does Oregon use salt on the roads? If so a good no rust body is worth more.

If you are priced right- just be patient- you'll eventually find someone who really wants that good body with a diesel that isn't worn out.
    Injector "stuff" rebuilt replaced also?? That is worth some $$-
    Be patient and check comparable sales/asking prices in Oregon
    Check Ebay for comparable Suburbans withn a 750 mile radius
    Charlie
    Last edited by phoebeisis; 09-01-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Crawdaddy- I follow CL- just NOLA CL- I usually see one or two of those diesels a year.The last ones I saw had really beaten up bodies-real POS "RUNS GOOD"-the asking price was low-under $2000 is my memory- but they were junk money pits.
    I would guess a good body 88 4x4 with a proven "good motor trans" would be worth maybe $3000-$4000 or so around here-maybe $1000 more if the AC works.

Where the OP is-Oregon-I would guess a 4X4 would be worth a bit more.

If the paint is really horrible that turns some folks off and sometimes makes it a tougher sale.
    Here in NOLA it would sell quickly at $2500-OK at $3500- very slowly at $4500- never at $6000(now it might be worth $6000 to someone if you can prove the rebuild motor injection "stuff" etc)
    Some folks LOVE DIESELS!!(but a used one can be a horrible money pit if it needs work-wearas a SBC 350 you can always get a new genuine Goodwrench for $2000 dropped curbside-one of the main reasons folks love those 350- 5.7-cheap to fix reliable )
    In NOLA we have a lot less rust than the midwest and NE. Does Oregon use salt on the roads? If so a good no rust body is worth more.

If you are priced right- just be patient- you'll eventually find someone who really wants that good body with a diesel that isn't worn out.
    Injector "stuff" rebuilt replaced also?? That is worth some $$-
    Be patient and check comparable sales/asking prices in Oregon
    Check Ebay for comparable Suburbans withn a 750 mile radius
    Charlie
    Thanks for the input Charlie,The paint is bad but the body is rust free and I have receipts for all the work including the motor.I have it listed at 2700 down from 3200 but I hate to take less because the body is so straight.No salt on the roads here,we are in the high desert and its really dry with not much snow.I`ll keep it listed at that price.

Do you have any pic's of the burb?

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched