GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default can't find the camper hookups!!!??

Hello all.

My name is Matt, and I live in Phoenix,AZ. I recently purchased a 1977 c20 cheyenne camper special. 350 AT. I dont have pics, but here is the link from the dealer I purchased it from in WA.

http://www.dragers.com/photos.php?sku=dgt8003&desc=1

I do have a question tho, I am unable to locate the camper wiring!!! It is possible that for some reason it doesn't have any? I thought all camper specials had the camper hook ups? My old man had a 78 CS, and his camper wiring was behind the rear cab, near the front of the bed.

Does anyone have any pics of their camper hookups/? I hope I don't have to pay to get it wired for a cabover camper.

Thanks again.

Matt

Are you looking for wiring for a trailer, or what? For trailer wiring, the older trucks don't have separate wiring for trailers from the factory. It's all tied off the main truck wiring, or an adapter is often available so you don't have to cut and splice wires.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Cool

Welcome to the club, Matt. Sorry can't help with your wiring question.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Camper Special means it has heavier rear springs for a slide-in camper. The wiring will have to be added. YOu'll probably need to tap into the rear wiring harness that goes along the frame rail to the back, or use a very long harness and tap in at the rear of the box, like a trailer harness.
    Good Luck and God Bless

Good looking truck Matt, looks clean for the age.
    As someone else posted the camper special package was springs, some trucks came with a set of slide out extention attachments on the rear bumper to extend it behind the camper if you had a camper that sat out passed the end of the bed.
    The wire harness for the camper was usually added at the dealer or when you bought a camper the camper dealer would install it.
    Back in the day not all camper wiring was standardized and you could burn out a lot of parts by hooking it up wrong.

Default Thanks for the help!

I didn't know that the wiring was something additional. I thought that it would come with the camperspecial package, since it was made for a camper. I guess my old mans was already set up for that when he got it. I appreciate it all the advice guys. So, do you think the best bet would be to go to a chevy dealership, or a camper dealership to get the camper wiring set up. It is wired for a trailer, but I was looking for the wiring that came from behind the cab into the bed to plug into the front of the older campers.

Thanks again you guys for this info, I really appreciate it. Have a great day, and God bless.

Matt

Best bet is a camper shop.

Default Cool,

thanks again for the advice, and help. I really appreciate it. God bless, and have a great week.

Matt.