GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Default Who went camping and where this past summer? And whos doing some winter camping?

As the title says who went were camping this summer. Since i didnt even get a weekend off, and did a little fishing i figured it would be nice to see who did have time to go and where.
    Also I always try to get one late camping trip in up to the Canadian Boarder for some awsome fall trout fishing. And obviously my camper is the hunting shack for deer season!
    Post up some pics when you have time as well would be great.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I had a week off in late June, went up to Arkansas and did a little camping at the Norfork River, along with some trout fishing. I did more camping on my best friend's couch that week than I did outside! Definitely planning for some more in November for sure, and once the weather cools down a bit here I'll hit the trails again for a few overnighters. Just been a hot summer...I say that every year!
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

I used to love winter camping, I did it all the time as a kid in the Scouts.

Once we went camping and tool bales of straw with us. The straw went out on the snow, then we put a tarp on top of that and tents on top of that. Then above us we got a decommisioned air force parachute, a big one - like for dropping heavy gear or something, and we lit a fire under the parachute and staked it down all around us. The fire kept the parachute inflated, so we didn't get snowed on, plus it raised the temp under there to maybe 40F so it was much warmer than the 20F temp (daytime) or 5F temp outside. Just keep the fire away from the staw ... until it's time to leave, then we threw the straw into the fire last thing and had a big roaring fire for about 2 minutes.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

Blog Entries

I am very fortunate....we were able to get up 3 times this year and each were over extended weekends. I am also very lucky in the sense that my wife enjoys camping just as much as I do. Typically, we like to camp at about 10,000 ft and only go where 4x4s can get to. The pics below are from one of our favorite campsites. It's next to a river in which we 4 wheel through on the road that takes us up to around 13,000 ft.

Last edited by mfleetwood; 10-06-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Legend
    Blog Entries

That looked like a really good time! Mt.... I however cant do the tent thing.. and im hoping to get in some camping next summer since with some luck ill be able to have some time off! and whats amazing is Co. looks a whole lot like MN in that pic HAHA..

Legend

Blog Entries

Yeah, it was a blast. CO is like MN except for less mosquitos (I think). My next-door neighboor is from MN and is a huge Vikings fan, so I hear plenty of great things about your State but even more about the Vikings...and most of it is not so good since the let down stemming from not making to the Superbowl after coming so close.

It stinks you did not really have a chance to get out this Summer...that's the one the few things that keeps me sane. I hope you get some much needed time off next year!

I only got to go twice over the summer due to work, but I'm going over the winter... in CO I want to say? (hopefully when it snows) so I can find a spot on a mountian and do some free-skiing
    Justin
    1990 Silverado Stepside

2003 Olds Alero-
    64,XXX

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post

That's a beautiful camp site. It looks like you guys have just bout everything.

The last camping trip I took was with some friends in early November. It was pretty random and poorly planned but we had a good time. Because of our poor preparation and the fact that it got quite cold that night, I actually ended up sleeping in my truck (which didn't help much). I was up pretty early to get the fire going again for some warmth. Luckily, I always have an axe and some other survival gear so we were able to hack at some dead trees for firewood. It was a good time, regardless of the temperature.

As I mentioned in the hunting forum, I'll probably be spending about a week out at some family land of ours this summer. The camping should be pretty fun but it will probably be terribly hot. Worst case scenario, I drive 10 miles out and stay at my the vacant house my great grandmother used to live in (still has electricity and running water.... oh, and a warm bed or two).

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    I am very fortunate....we were able to get up 3 times this year and each were over extended weekends. I am also very lucky in the sense that my wife enjoys camping just as much as I do. Typically, we like to camp at about 10,000 ft and only go where 4x4s can get to. The pics below are from one of our favorite campsites. It's next to a river in which we 4 wheel through on the road that takes us up to around 13,000 ft.

Man, nothing beats sleeping in a tent next to a noisy river. I pass out like a baby every time. That looks like an awesome place to be. I've only been to Colorado one time, a few years ago on a fishing trip with a few buddies of mine. It sure was beautiful.

Master Mechanic

Had two pretty awesome trips last summer

first was to the southfork of the clearwater river near elk city, idaho, near where i grew up for memorial day weekend, awesome weekend, except my truck broke down and took a week and a half to get fixed before i could haul me and my camper back to washington with it lol.

the last was to dunefest 2010 in reedsport, oregon, amazing dunes, tons of woman...i mean people...beer, and good times all around. not exactly roughing it or relaxing, but what a blast!

plan on doing both again this year, hopefully going to the dunes a few more times.

2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by