GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default 01 2500 insurment panel cuts out

With my 2001 chevy 2500 i randomly have my gauges (whole cluster) will just loose power, my tranny doesnt shift and sometimes it takes long time for the cluster to regain power and it is very dangerous on the highway seeing how i get stuck in whatever gear im in and cant accelerate. also when power does come back the truck shift points are all thrown off, i know that shutting truck off for a decent amount of time will fix my shift points. Im just wondering if there was a recall on the cluster (think i heard about one) or if there is just a simple fix to this, i think it is a common issue with the model year
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Dear Members, I'm not a certified mechanic i just have a decent knowledge and about 4 years of hands on experience, I'm no way close to a expert but I'm trying to give my best input so bear with my responses please, thanks

Yes, the clusters in those trucks do have problems, but only with bad stepper motors in the gages. Your problem sounds like a loss of power to an important circuit. YOu need to check all the power supply points and tighten all the connections at the battery, starter, and especially in and around the big fuse panel under the hood. Don't forget to do the same with every ground wire you can find, too. You have an intermittent connection somewhere . . .

Good Luck and God Bless

Sr. Apprentice

by any chance does anyone have a wire diagram? ive noticed when it dies if i kinda pull the tilt lever and slam the wheel up it comes back also it doesnt die out when tilt is all the way up, im thinking it could be a short near the tilt im just not sure if any wires are near that area, i pulled my dash apart today and the wire feed seems to come from higher up then the tilt so im kinda confused

you can find one in a chiltons or haynes manual or if you have access to a shop they might have software for wiring diagrams

2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4

6.0L v8:great: 4L80E

2.5 in Daystar leveling keys

285/75/16s BFG ATs on HD wheels

Cab lights and tool box

Sr. Apprentice

ok, i kinda left this issue alone since it was happening to often, but latley im always loosing power, throw off shift points and now my tranny switches wrong points, wont shift into OD and basically highway travel off limits now, so first off does anyone know what would cause the gauges to just loose power, what wire, where it could be and so on, also i noticed when gauges die out the blinker lights still show up, and the illumination still works just no response from the gauges...so please someone help