GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Where do you jack up your suburban and place jack stands?

Just curious where everyone places their floor jack for lifting rear and front of their truck/SUV and where you place jackstands?

I've been doing some rear brake work and have been using the frame rails toward the back, but they are bending!

I know some people put the jack under the rear diff, but the brake lines look like they'll get pinched by my jack stands (Using 6 ton rated jackstands BTW).

Should the frame rails be bending from the weight of the suburban?

As always, thanks in advance to everyone who takes the time to respond.

FF6
    Current Rides: |99 Chevy Suburban- the family truckster |93 Lincoln Town Car- 250K miles & still churning -now a fan of the Panther platform
    Former GM cars: |78 Suburban 454 |71 Buick Electra 225 (deuce & a quarter) |75 Monte Carlo- 400SB- heaviest doors GM every made |70 Impala coupe- my 1st car

I lift from whatever location I need. I prefer to lift off the rear axle, but obviously I couldn't do that when I did the axle swap. I did notice when I tried to lift from the frame rail by too much at one time the rail wanted to bend. Take it in small steps and lift evenly and you should be ok.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I lift from whatever location I need. I prefer to lift off the rear axle, but obviously I couldn't do that when I did the axle swap. I did notice when I tried to lift from the frame rail by too much at one time the rail wanted to bend. Take it in small steps and lift evenly and you should be ok.
    When you say too much at one time, does that mean you jack each side up a little at a time? The upgraded 6-ton jack stands I had to buy for this beast sit pretty high, so I don't usually have to go much higher than the 1st or 2nd notch. I've jacked the car up several times in the last couple of weeks (see my post on overheating brake shoes!) and the rail is looking a little dinged up and even bent a little. I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.