GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Any one use Flexi fuel?

A friend of mine bought a new Chevy 1500 with Flexi Fuel capabiliy. After driving a month using Flexi Fuel he's not very happy with the package. The mileage drops from 17/18 for reg unleaded to 9 when using Flexi Fuel and the truck has a hard time towing his Toyota rock crawler and 18ft trailer while burning Flexi Fuel.
    Flexi Fuel cost's .40 a gallon less than reg unleaded with mileage drops like this you'll never recoup back the cost of the option.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    A friend of mine bought a new Chevy 1500 with Flexi Fuel capabiliy. After driving a month using Flexi Fuel he's not very happy with the package. The mileage drops from 17/18 for reg unleaded to 9 when using Flexi Fuel and the truck has a hard time towing his Toyota rock crawler and 18ft trailer while burning Flexi Fuel.
    Flexi Fuel cost's .40 a gallon less than reg unleaded with mileage drops like this you'll never recoup back the cost of the option.
    I've just started to do some pretty in-depth study into this concept. Essentially, flex fuel allows a vehicle to be either gasoline or e85.

From what I've read and heard, the fuel injection systems that allow a vehicle to go from gas (90% gasoline - 10% ethanol) to E85 (15% gasoline - 85% ethanol) aren't perfected really well yet. Apparently, future fuel/air mixers will provide even more energy to be earned from E85, providing better performance and/or better economy.

From what I've been told, right now just about eveyrone says that they get about 30% worse mileage on E85 instead of gasoline. That's pretty dramatic, but the fuel costs less too, so it almost averages out.

The plus side is that it's made from renewable engery sources, so it's cleaner burning and it's a fuel that can be grown in the US, or at least in North America to eventually provide enough fuel for the entire nation. They're even talking about being able to get down to the cellular structure of switchgrass in the near future to get the alcohol from that. That would be interesting.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Anyone watch this video on youtube? Apparently someone ran a gasoline 2000 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 on E85 and it showed no additional wear and even less wear than gasoline. Interesting study.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I've been doing some studying on E85, heres some things I found:

E85 has less BTU's than an equal amount of regular unleaded gasoline. This accounts for the lower fuel mileage and power when running E85.

An engine running E85 only can use compression as high as 14.1 without internal damage. Try that with regular gasoline, you'll make a mess of your engine. With the right cam and pistons there could be a lot of potential horse power to be gained.

E85 responds very good to water injection. It creates a slight compression increase and tailpipe EGT's are lower. Emissions are also lowered slightly.

One study shows E85 burns very good with propane injection. Another clean fuel. Emissions are lowered because propane causes a clean burn.

E85 doesnt respond well to Forced induction. The octane is to low and it causes pinging. This is odd because increasing the compression should have the same effect but doesnt. There are some promising research projects using forced induction and additives. One group is also using Forced induction, E85, and Propane with good performance results but mileage is suffering.