GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Plug Wires

Default Plug Wires

So I went to pull off the spark plug wires to change out the 80K plugs originally in there and the wire, boot, heatshield, and coil shaped spring came off, but not the spade shaped connector because it was stuck on the plug. Is this normal, is the connector supposed to separate like that ? Can I just remove the connector from the plug, replace the plug, and then put the connector back on the plug then put the wire assembly pushed back on ? I noticed the heatshield has that spring in there, why ? Should I just fork out some more cash for a new set of wires and should I re-use those heatshields ? What brands of plug wires do you recommend ? I have the Bosch Platinum +2 plugs, what are your opinions of those ? Any help would be great, Thanks.

Welcome to the club. As many on this site can tell you GM's like A/C Delco plugs. They don't like any Bosch plugs. Also what year truck, model and motor do you have??
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by WATahoe View Post
    So I went to pull off the spark plug wires to change out the 80K plugs originally in there and the wire, boot, heatshield, and coil shaped spring came off, but not the spade shaped connector because it was stuck on the plug. Is this normal, is the connector supposed to separate like that ? Can I just remove the connector from the plug, replace the plug, and then put the connector back on the plug then put the wire assembly pushed back on ? I noticed the heatshield has that spring in there, why ? Should I just fork out some more cash for a new set of wires and should I re-use those heatshields ? What brands of plug wires do you recommend ? I have the Bosch Platinum +2 plugs, what are your opinions of those ? Any help would be great, Thanks.
    x2...on What STB has mentioned, In order for us (The Member's) to give you Advice and/or Help...........you really need to give us some more Information about your Vehicle.......Meaning what......Year....Model.....and Engine your Vehicle has.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Sorry to keep ahold of the info everyboby. It's an '01 Tahoe LT 4x4 with the 5.3. I picked it up for the wife last year and she loves it. I love it as well just because it doesn't come with a $500 plus payment each month. good truck, just trying to work out a few bugs and not go broke like the Feds. Thanks.

Get some new wires. The Bosch plugs are garbage, especially the +2 and +4. Get some AC Delco Iridium/Platinum. Gap them at .040".
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by WATahoe View Post
    Sorry to keep ahold of the info everyboby. It's an '01 Tahoe LT 4x4 with the 5.3. I picked it up for the wife last year and she loves it. I love it as well just because it doesn't come with a $500 plus payment each month. good truck, just trying to work out a few bugs and not go broke like the Feds. Thanks.
    For your 2001" Tahoe with the 5.3 liter, you want the A/C Delco Iridium Tip Spark Plugs......They are Gaped at.....0.40 during Manufacturing, Carefully Check to see if they are Gaped Correctly at (0.40), but if the Gap is off, Do Not Attempt to Re-Gap Them......and the reason is the Iridium Tip can be easily Damaged.....take them back and get a new set.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 09-10-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

Master Mechanic

I went to my local Napa and got their Denso wires, very pleased with them
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Legend

get new wires, you will be better off, if you are changing the plugs you might as well do the wires too. I just got some from summit racing, pretty cheap and they are 8mm
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

x2....On what vncj96 has mentioned, regarding getting New Plug Wires.

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I'll be ordering some stuff from Rock Auto instead of getting ripped off at the dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by