GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 98 Tahoe shimmy

Default 98 Tahoe shimmy

Have a shimmy problem with our 98 Tahoe. Doesn't seem to shimmy all the time comes and goes. First noticed this 3 weeks ago and replace both lower ball joints, seems only 1 was starting to go bad. Two days later shimmy comes back, so we replaced both tie rod ends (inner and outer). Drive it 5 miles without a problem on our way back shimmy starts again. Rotated front tires to back to make sure it's not a bad tire still not the problem. Since we've replaced tie rods and ball joints steering is tighter and not a lot of play in the wheel at all. Upper ball joints seem to be fine have been replaced as well. My question is Idler arm or pitman arm gone bad? Not the typical symptoms of steering play and tire wear although before the lower ball joints and tie rod ends it did like to wander a little. Shimmy seems to involve entire vehicle but seems to come from the front end not for sure what side. Any solutions?

Question

Hey...I'm searching for results of similar symptoms as well. I have a 99 4x4 4dr Tahoe and my pass side front tire outer edge is wearing, the rest are good, but there is a shimmy in the 65-75mph range, even on brand new paved straight roads. Noticed it bad Friday night coming back from school, and nothing today driving around (below 60mph). Any clues ? Read something about shocks so that's the first thing I'm looking at doing since they prolly need it (I work in DC). Next step I was looking at was a rotation and alignment, and have them inspect the front suspension while its in the air. I usually do all my own work minus alignments ;)
    99 Tahoe - the family truckster
    99 Xploder - the trash truck
    01 Windstar - bought back by Ford :party:
    01 Saturn SL1 150K miles, 34mpg :glasses:

Well I happened to notice that the rotor would move back and forth on the driverside, seems like it was loose and would rock. Anyways I replaced the 2 bolts on the caliper and for 3 weeks not one shimmy. The truck is back to the shimmy so I plan to replace the caliper itself since its the original, seemed to get somewhere with the bolts. What seems to happen is the caliper isn't tight with the rotor and causes the rotor to shimmy just enough to cause a vibration. I will post more once I replace the caliper this weekend.

Welcome to the club. If the idler and pitman arm are factory original, there bad!! I'm sure your '98 has over 100,000 miles on it.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Welcome to the club. If the idler and pitman arm are factory original, there bad!! I'm sure your '98 has over 100,000 miles on it.
    x2 on the idler and pitman arms. I had a shimmy in my 95'. It turned out to be the idler and pitman arms worn. Changed them and have not shimmied since. I would also check out the control arm bushings.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)