GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default groaning noise going over bumps

Hello all, new to this site. I have a 2002 Suburban 4wd with about 130k on it. Developed new noise recently. Seems whenever the rear suspension is articulated, over bumps or dips in the road, there is a groan that come out. Any ideas?

Welcome to the club. Is your 'Burb a 1500 or 2500?
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Jr. Apprentice

1500 Series LT

It has coil springs in the rear and they have a rubber/plastic isolator on the spring mounts so there not rubbing metal to metal. These could worn through, could be old shocks, sway bar mounts. There alot of things. Try spraying WD-40 on a part and drive and see if the noise goes away, if not spray another part and try again. Its time consuming but if you have no one to listen outside while you go over bumps its a easy way to find the problem. Try having someone jump up and down on the rear bumper while you listen under the truck.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it all a try and see what happens

Maybe it's just getting cranky.

Jr. Apprentice

I have that same noise too, I found out what it is.. ( it not a problem though with the truck) When your driving over a bump or depression of some sort. The ABS brake system engages, it make kind of a low shutter growling sound. this happen because you have your foot on the brake going over the bump or depression in the road. I don't know why it does this but it does though. It not your suspension at all. take notice of your brake pedal, you will feel it ever so slightly pumping, that would be the ABS. Now it does not feel like slamming on the brakes for sudden stopping and hard braking where the ABS engages.
    It just very light. the sound if from your brake ABS system. it thinks your slamming on the brakes. , but disengages very fast, because your already over them bump or depression. Take your foot of the brake when going over a bump and you will notice no sound or growl as you say. you can even go slow and there will be no sound. If your driving like 20 plus and have the brakes on going over that bump thats the ABS system.

It not the ABS unit either. I changed my for another reason, but still has this sound too. It normal for this truck as far all I cab tell. it just engaging and disengaging the ABS very fast. the brakes sense a abnormal road condition is all I can think of.
    2001 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.0L

2005 Sikorsky U.S Army BlackHawk. Lots of Factory Options installed. no heated seats.