GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quick note. I have installed auto starts and security systems in hundreds of silverados and sierras, your model your requires the "interfacing" not bypassing, of the pass lock system which means you have to cut a gm wire, normally it's yellow, and tie a module inline with this wire (back in the day it would commonly be what's called a pass lock 3 module and it would have dipstick switches on it). What color wire was it that you reconnected that was apparently cut? A CORRECT auto start installation would had this yellow wire look like it was cut on accident to the untrained eye. Sometimes pass lock 3 modules just up and fail all of the sudden causing you to have to either replace the module to keep the auto start or reconnect this yellow wire (pass lock) and lose the functionality of the auto start. I wish GM were more like fords in this sense and would just use a transponder security system because you don't have to install "inline" to anything.

The installer of your auto start did it correctly, sounds to me like really bad timing.

I had around the same thing happen to my truck i beleive it's the BCM and the Auto start causing the truck to go in Anti theft mode and it throwing a code and telling my truck not to start and throw other codes! My truck is at GM dealership will be looked at tomorrow and this week will find out what it is and i'm pretty sure it's the auto start i have since my buddy at GM dealership said the aftermarket systems end up failing for no reason. I prob. plan on taking mine off and selling it for around $400 since mine was really exspensive! Anyway i'll update on here when i find out exactly what i think it is!

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

It's very common to have a stealership blame the auto start....very common, lithia chevy up here has blamed transmission failures on auto starts, it's a little out of control. I worked five years at Auto Trim Design of Alaska, they are DEI's biggest purchaser and installer of auto starts in the country. I can count on one hand how many times we have had the old pass lock and even the new PK+ modules fail causing a truck not to start... Even the crummy pass lock 3s are still pretty dang dependable. I would be hesitant to villainize the auto start...

Okay if i have checked my alternator and took it off got it tested it's good along with my starter took it off got it tested it's good also. My battery ended up getting drained from whatever it is going on got a brand new one now it didn't help! The cables to the battery are fine no corrosion at all and my fuses are good none are blown at all. The only other things i could think of is the BCM because on my dash in my truck it has the gold lock as if it's Anti locked when it's not at all! I have looked online and everything and my buddy wouldn't lie to me about the Auto Start since many do have that problem depending how whom ever wired it. I don't just have a auto start i have the aftermarket security system with it also so it could also be short's in the wiring i assume.

The only other things i can think of is the ignition switch being bad other than that it has to be a electrical problem due to short's or the CPU or BCM messing up because it's throwing codes. The codes include service 4 wheel drive, serv. air bag and serv. tire monitor system. The other day before i got it towed for FREE from military insurance it tried to start more and just clicked and the radio came back on and worked and before it wouldn't and my stock remote to unlock doors didn't work and it worked but after that day everything stopped wrking again. Everything work's on my truck as far as lights and the Fuel pump even primes but i think other day it stopped didn't hear it or pay much attention. Idk what it is but i had to keep my battery unplugged because it was draining my battery! What's the problem you seem like you know!??

So your battery keeps draining? How fast is it draining? You hit the nail on the head when you said "depends on who wired it". Referring to the pending fact that your auto start could be failing... The original poster's issue definitely sounds like the module for the auto start that interfaces with his pass lock security system has failed in an "open" position, which is indeed a rare way for them to fail, normally they fail "closed" so the auto start may stop working but the truck won't lock down.

Your situation DOES sound like hazardous wiring issues that could absolutely be coming from the auto start. What year is your rig? Because in trucks as old as the TBI gen. Your only tapping into a single wire on the truck for actual security sensing. The other equipment on the aftermarket security system is solely dependent on the auto start itself. 1990-1998 trucks and SUVs you solder to the dome sensing wire under the drive dash (you can select your desired polarity while prepping the auto start on the bench). On 1999-2007 you solder to a gray wire in the drivers side pillar which is a negative triggered dome sense wire which is why I doubt it is the security portion of your auto start causing the problem.

I do however believe you have something internal going on with your auto start board that is causing the problem and messy wiring with the possibility of two wires shorting together (I'm referring to the two pass lock wires in the ignition harness) are adding to a very frustrating scenario.

I doubt it's your ignition being bad but your harness, depending on the install quality of the auto start, could be compromised. Sounds like you have a competent friend at GM, he should be able to removed the auto start, reconnect the cut yellow pass lock wire and then hopefully your problem disappears.

Sorry if that's confusing, it's hard to articulate things on a forum for me, especially from my iPhone lol

I have a 2008 chevy silverado z71 5.3 v8 and i agree it's something due to wiring because my truck had no signs of anything weird going on and that day i drove it and when i left my college and parked it and later was leaving i would turn the key and nothing would happen it wouldn't click or anything. I really havent checked my spark plugs but it's too late now and i doubt that's the problem also it has to be electrical. Hopefully tomorrow or day after they will call me and let me know what it is since i told them i have checked the major components in the engine bay and underneith and everything that is linked in to starting the truck.

so your key should have a + on it right? Hmm that is odd I can't be anymore help for you because I have never experienced a NBS violate pass lock yet...they are very easy to install in and even easier to keep the wiring clean..... It's more common but still incredibly rare in the 1999-2007 OBS trucks and SUVs

Idk what you mean when my key has a + on it?

It has a "+" symbol on the metal part of the key. It is stamped in, all it signifies is that you are operating under a newer version of the pass lock system

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    Quick note. I have installed auto starts and security systems in hundreds of silverados and sierras, your model your requires the "interfacing" not bypassing, of the pass lock system which means you have to cut a gm wire, normally it's yellow, and tie a module inline with this wire (back in the day it would commonly be what's called a pass lock 3 module and it would have dipstick switches on it). What color wire was it that you reconnected that was apparently cut? A CORRECT auto start installation would had this yellow wire look like it was cut on accident to the untrained eye. Sometimes pass lock 3 modules just up and fail all of the sudden causing you to have to either replace the module to keep the auto start or reconnect this yellow wire (pass lock) and lose the functionality of the auto start. I wish GM were more like fords in this sense and would just use a transponder security system because you don't have to install "inline" to anything.

The installer of your auto start did it correctly, sounds to me like really bad timing.
    I'm going to jump back in here with what I know. I installed my own remote start on my last truck, so I am familiar with the PassLock 2 system gm used on the 1999-2007 trucks. I don't particularly care for it, but I know how it works. I also know that the interface module on this truck is a Fortin unit because it turns the heated seats on automatically when temperature is cold enough. I know that this type of interface is entirely computer based through the Class 2 Data system - one connection to the data wire from the OBD2 port, and that connection is present. I know that the issue I had was NOT a failure of any part of the remote start or interface system. The wire that was cut was not a factory wire... it was a heavier (18 gauge) black wire that was obviously not factory. I haven't taken the time to pull the knee bolster off and check out exactly how this system was wired in but the fact is that a Fortin system should NOT involve wiring anything inline with the truck, so that is why this is strange. My issue was fixed with reconnecting the wire, and it was NOT just a security issue. The PassLock was being activated which caused the no-start. BUT, the BCM seemed to be entirely shut down in that the radio, windows, door locks, driver mirror, interior lights, keyless entry, gauges, memory, etc. wouldn't work. The part I don't understand is how the remote starter caused this shutdown.

Idk what you mean when my key has a + on it?
    The + on your key indicates that it is a key for vehicles with the PassKey 3 security system as opposed to the PassLock 2 system the 1999-2007 trucks had. The PassKey 3 uses a key with a transponder of sorts in it - your key has to be programmed to your vehicle. The PassLock 2 system I have is based on the ignition switch itself. The only security requirement is that the computer receives the correct signal from the ignition switch being physically turned... if a thief were to be able to pick it or turn it with a screwdriver they would be able to take it. (I also don't care for the PassLock 2 because there are only something like 9 different ignition switch programmings. Your system requires the correct key for the truck to start.
    Last edited by pmf608; 09-26-2011 at 12:28 AM.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE