GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Cold Air Intake

Default Cold Air Intake

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 4.8 and i want to put a cold air intake on but not really sure if its worth it. I have also heard that the oil from the filter can cause the MAF to foul out. So what do you think is it worth it? have you had any or heard of anyone having problems after installing a CAI?
    2004 chevy tahoe 35% tint on front windows, 5% tint on the back half ,flowmaster exhaust dumped, Spectre 9900 CAI, 3 12 inch kicker L5's, in-dash DVD/Navigation,kicker 1200.1 amp, removed cargo rack, black headlights lense, black turn signal lense, smoked tail lights, 8000K HID lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickerking817 View Post
    I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 4.8 and i want to put a cold air intake on but not really sure if its worth it. I have also heard that the oil from the filter can cause the MAF to foul out. So what do you think is it worth it? have you had any or heard of anyone having problems after installing a CAI?
    If you don't have any other Performance Mods on your Tahoe now.......I would hold off on buying a CAI.......as getting the return on your Investment will take a Long Time.....before the CAI starts paying you back......I would go with a Cat Back Exhaust and then a Tune....before buying a CAI and the reason is going with Just a CAI and nothing else, the Gains would be Small if any at All.....in H.P. and/or M.P.G..

Regarding the Oil Filter's that are out there.......they get a Bad Rap.....and the reason is because of those who Do Not following the Instruction's when it comes to Re-Oiling the Air Filter's and Over Oil the Filter's......I've had K&N's on all of my Vehicles for around 15/16yrs and have Not had 1 Problem with Oil getting on the MAF Sensor.

Edit:....I just noticed, you do have a Cat Back Exhaust......Sorry I miss that....having the Exhaust along with a Tune will give you some Gains...in H.P....M.P.H.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 12-29-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

As Mike says, the engine is basically a pump. If you only improve the exhaust, there is still the restriction on the intake. And, there is no flow improvement. It needs to have 3 things to improve flow: Less restrictive exhaust, Less restrictive intake, and improved valve actuation and timing - cam. The custom tune may be the best in a smog world for a cam change.
    If the oil impregnated filters are a problem, then the filter cleaning and re-oiling instructions are not being followed. I never had a problem. Knock on Wood!!
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

Check out K&N's website, they have several videos regaurding the oil and MAF's. I've had K&N's on everything I've owned since '77 and never had a sensor failure. GM blames the oil on the MAF's but if you ask them for test results/proof they don't have any.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

another opton would be to go with a filter that has no oil, I have a spectre CAI on my truck, seems to be working great.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    If you don't have any other Performance Mods on your Tahoe now.......I would hold off on buying a CAI.......as getting the return on your Investment will take a Long Time.....before the CAI starts paying you back......I would go with a Cat Back Exhaust and then a Tune....before buying a CAI and the reason is going with Just a CAI and nothing else, the Gains would be Small if any at All.....in H.P. and/or M.P.G..

Regarding the Oil Filter's that are out there.......they get a Bad Rap.....and the reason is because of those who Do Not following the Instruction's when it comes to Re-Oiling the Air Filter's and Over Oil the Filter's......I've had K&N's on all of my Vehicles for around 15/16yrs and have Not had 1 Problem with Oil getting on the MAF Sensor.

Edit:....I just noticed, you do have a Cat Back Exhaust......Sorry I miss that....going with a CAI & having the Exhaust along with a Tune will give you some Solid Gains...in H.P. M.P.H.
    This x2, as it said it all -- and said it well.