GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

why not just use the bumper + a tree and use a nice hammock... save yourself a few hundred dollars lol
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Master Mechanic

I could never put a topper on my truck, never liked them (sorry to those who have them). The hammock would work but it would have to have a rain fly, but will look into the idea.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Heck
    Get a 96-99 Suburban-they are dirt cheap-rarely over $3000-frequently $2500 and less here in NOLA.
    Pull the 3rd row-flop the second flat-throw a air mattress or cheap used futon mattress in there-it takes a queen sized futon mattress-over 50" between wheel wells.
    Yeah just like a long bed pickup but cheaper and you don't need the tent.
    You can even run the engine for AC- or haul a generator and little window unit on a hitch carrier
    Yeah older Suburbans are great road trip car camping vehicles
    We sleep at rest stops when we cross TX- HY 287 DFW to Amarillo-nap at rest stops on I-40 too-
    forget those pricy motels.
    I suspect a swamp cooler-evap cooler-would work farther west-NM AZ- but it is still surprisingly humid outside Amarillo-looks so dry you wouldn't figure it would still be humid
    Always looking for a better way to stay cool while sleeping-running the AC- 4 gallons 7 hrs-isn't too bad
    but scared I might spring a leak-coolant or oil-sleep thru it-and cook my motor-
    Gotta be careful about carbon monoxide too-park with the exhaust point downwind
    Yeah not ideal-anyone have a better way to stay cool -it was 93 degrees at 11:30 pm July 2008 when we stopped at the rest stop outside Childress TX-Hardemann County-HY 287-hot for almost midnight!!
    Thanks
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Master Mechanic

If I wasn't in college maybe haha, but was looking for something that maybe my girlfriend and I could take on a weekend to the parks around scranton. I already have a 3 man tent so I'll probably just stick with that. Just liked the idea of being able to put it in the truck.

Blog Entries

I'm sorry, did you say UNDER the leather tonneau? That's got to be pretty cramped. I have actually done this myself, but only in an emergency.
    John ~ New Mexico ~ It's all about the bowtie!
    2007 GMC Envoy & 2010 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    If I wasn't in college maybe haha, but was looking for something that maybe my girlfriend and I could take on a weekend to the parks around scranton. I already have a 3 man tent so I'll probably just stick with that. Just liked the idea of being able to put it in the truck.
    Here's the link on Autoanything.com's truck tents: http://www.autoanything.com/shop/sportz-truck-tent
    Yer lookin at about $190 for the tent alone, but they're not bad! the Sportz III is currently what I have for met set up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01406.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	53221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01408.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	53222

been using this tent for the past 6 years or so with no issues, nice tent fer two. Like I said previously though, I will be in the market for a pop up tent trailer later on when the childrens show up. We'll probably keep this for when friends wanna go out with us.

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Master Mechanic

It was cramped, but kept my head out on the tailgate (until the rain came). Then I crawled back under haha

Quote Originally Posted by K15 Blazer Guy View Post
    why not just use the bumper + a tree and use a nice hammock... save yourself a few hundred dollars lol
    Why not? Already using the trailer hitch receiver to hold a porta-potty seat....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uc-100-b.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	53354
    See The USA In A Chevrolet,
    Or Buy A Ford And Stay At Home!!

LMAO

not sure if genius...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0cfd348d_vbattach207643.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	53371
    or stupid....

Quote Originally Posted by SilveradoDreamer View Post
    Why not? Already using the trailer hitch receiver to hold a porta-potty seat....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uc-100-b.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	53354
    Dave, you make that, or find it somewhere? I was looking at the Bumper Dumper, but decided for $70 I could build my own.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)