GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New 2011 Silverado 1500 LT Question

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 LT with the all-star package, so it has the 6 sp, 5.3L engine, etc... Its an ext cab.

For some reason when I slow down to a slow speed, like 10MPH, and then get back on the gas again, often there is a 1 or so second delay and then the truck accelerates. its a lag time, and then a jerk and the truck accelerates.

Is the lag due to the transmission down-shifting when I hit the gas?

It feels like a really sensitive gas pedal, except for the fact that it takes 1-2 seconds before the truck accelerates.

Is this normal?

On a side note, I have also been experiencing some annoying sticky-squeeky buzzing sounds coming from the top of the dash sometimes on rougher road/pot hole roads. Is this unusual? There is a rattle that comes from somewhere behind the driver's seat when on really rough roads. Seems like a brand new pick-up should not have these issues yet...

Have you had a chance to bring this to the attention of your local dealer? I would recommend discussing this concerns with thiem. Please feel free to keep me posted as well. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Sr. Engineer

That lag is the wonderful "torque management" programmed into the computer, so it is normal. Its supposed to save some wear and tear on the transmission. If you buy a program like HPTuners or EFILive to edit the vehicle's computer programming you can change it. I used to have a trailblazer SS and with HPTuners I removed all of the torque management and it was like driving a totally different vehicle, you stepped on the gas and it was moving instantly. Otherwise it had the same delay that my current truck has. I sold my HPTuners setup thinking I'd never use it on this truck, wish I wouldn't have now.

Not sure about the squeaks and rattles.. I'd take it to the dealer and let them figure it out since its new!

Jr. Apprentice

My 2010 Silverado 1500LT Crew Cab 5.3L 6sp transmission does the same thing. Also we I push the accelerator, there is a noticeable delay. Then the transmission down shifts the the engine speeds up finally.

I have bought a programming book, and plan as soon as the warranty is up to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by mkballance View Post
    My 2010 Silverado 1500LT Crew Cab 5.3L 6sp transmission does the same thing. Also we I push the accelerator, there is a noticeable delay. Then the transmission down shifts the the engine speeds up finally.

I have bought a programming book, and plan as soon as the warranty is up to fix it
    Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I can also look into this for you with your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Tricia,

We have the same issue and more with our 2011 1500 LS, with the 4.8 and 4 speed transmission. Has done ever since new. Upshifts perfectly, but won't downshift, and when it does the truck jerks and there is a noticeable clunking noise dfrom the drivetrain. Took it to the dealer and they said there wasn't any codes stored,a nd this was normal. Now have 3000 miles, and still does the same thing. I have trained myself how to drive the truck...but can't seem to train the other drivers who are behind me. They run up on my rear waiting on me to pause for the transmission to catch up with everyone else. It's like the transmission is running the engine...not like the engine should be running the transmission. I've owned many different vehicles and GMC, Chevy, and Ford...and all of them had an engine running the show...not the transmission. I guess i'll just have to wait until someone rear-ends me, or the transmission tears up a driveshaft, or universal joint.

Love the truck...hate the drivetrain ! Good thing it has a 100K warranty !

Quote Originally Posted by gotohatteras View Post
    Tricia,

We have the same issue and more with our 2011 1500 LS, with the 4.8 and 4 speed transmission. Has done ever since new. Upshifts perfectly, but won't downshift, and when it does the truck jerks and there is a noticeable clunking noise dfrom the drivetrain. Took it to the dealer and they said there wasn't any codes stored,a nd this was normal. Now have 3000 miles, and still does the same thing. I have trained myself how to drive the truck...but can't seem to train the other drivers who are behind me. They run up on my rear waiting on me to pause for the transmission to catch up with everyone else. It's like the transmission is running the engine...not like the engine should be running the transmission. I've owned many different vehicles and GMC, Chevy, and Ford...and all of them had an engine running the show...not the transmission. I guess i'll just have to wait until someone rear-ends me, or the transmission tears up a driveshaft, or universal joint.

Love the truck...hate the drivetrain ! Good thing it has a 100K warranty !

gotohatteras,

I'm sorry you are having this problem. Have you taken this issue to the dealer to have it looked at? You are still under warranty according to the year and mileage you stated. If you would like me to look into this please send me a pm with your information including your (name, number,Vin, address, involved dealer).

Evan, GM Customer Service