GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: Chevy Suburban - Still Relevant?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Solid Yes - Still fills an essential need.

105 84.00%
  • Somewhat Yes - The world has changed, so has it.

16 12.80%
  • Somewhat No - Gas prices too high & smaller families today.

3 2.40%
  • Solid No - It served it's purpose, time to move on.

1 0.80%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

I have a 1990 1/2 ton 4x2 w/ 6.2L Diesel. I would not trade it for anything offered now. My first car was an 85 GMC Suburban 1/2 ton, 4x4, 350. I am a GMC guy and can not stand the front of the new Yukon XL. If GM offered a heavy half 2wd with a smaller diesel, wouldn't even have to be a duramax, with a 6 speed manual, seeting for 9, vinyl or rubber floor and vinyl or cloth seats. I might buy a new one. I don't mind the look of the Suburban over the Yukon, but I did not realize the second row no longer folds flat. One last thing, bring back the Barn Doors. Not that a new Suburban would fit in my garage, they're too tall, but if it did I could not open the back in the garage. With the barn doors I can open the back up anywhere. Aparently GM can make more money by making these a luxury vehicle and selling them for 50K+ than they can by making them what they used to be.

We've got a 1999 K1500 with the old school 350. Bought it with around 150,000 k on the odometer, and we're pushing 300,000 k. And you can't tell me its a gas hog. She can get 36 MPG while towing a 7x14 cargo trailer! Although, that was through the fruit bowl of California with cruise control pinned at 55 MPH... Still... Averages about 18 MPG, and running strong. :P

What GM should do, is make the 2500 into what the Suburban was. The fold flat second row seats, the removable third row seats, and offer the 6.6 Duramax with the 6 speed Alison. That would be a killer machine.

Quote Originally Posted by atirox View Post
    What GM should do, is make the 2500 into what the Suburban was. The fold flat second row seats, the removable third row seats, and offer the 6.6 Duramax with the 6 speed Alison. That would be a killer machine.
    I'll x2 that! Let the fancy folks have the 1500, and those of us who use it for its intended purpose, "The Carryall", get the 2500, the way we want it. Vinyl, cargo doors, tons of torque...
    Are you listening GM? (tap,tap) is this thing on?

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Quote Originally Posted by atirox View Post
    Heck, even that much talked about 4.5L diesel would be a welcome addition to the real original SUV! Hey GM! Listen up!

Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    Heck, even that much talked about 4.5L diesel would be a welcome addition to the real original SUV! Hey GM! Listen up!
    I have a friend that works at GM powertrain. He said that they have been testing the 4.5L for years. He also said that they have all but given up on the idea. They tested it. Were happy with the results, but don't know if the market would support it. I know many people that would be all in. I would love one, I could never afford it, but it would be awesome.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have a friend that works at GM powertrain. He said that they have been testing the 4.5L for years. He also said that they have all but given up on the idea. They tested it. Were happy with the results, but don't know if the market would support it. I know many people that would be all in. I would love one, I could never afford it, but it would be awesome.
    Heck, if the 4.5 would have been available on my 2011 purchase that's the truck I'd bought. I'm sure it would have been more $$, and I can see that if pricing were an issue that would bring pause to GM on releasing it. It'd only make sense if the price were right. The 6.xL versions are mad expensive for sure. But I would never need that much power; the 4.5 would be plenty and a heck of a lot of fun to own and drive (not to mention fuel savings...) I kind of miss the GM that would put things on the market just for the heck of it...

Say hi to your friend for us!

A diesel for all 1500 models including Suburban would be great, thats what I would want if I was in the market! Come on GM
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

CNG would be a nice option too. Especially since CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) is about $1.30 per gallon equivalent right now.

Default If it has an air bag I wont buy it .if it aint carbed it should be! I'm a carb man.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Do you have a modern Chevy Suburban? If not, would you buy one?
    Anyone over the age of 30 must remember the old-style Chevrolet Suburban. All of our parents had one it seemed, and many of our grandparents had one as well. Am I right? It was the perfect vehicle for hauling kids during the week, towing a boat to the lake, picking up groceries one day and a few sheets of 4'x8' plywood the next.

Once it got a few miles on it, Mr. Smith, who used it for the family truckster, decided to sell it. So, Mr. Johnson bought it and he was going to use it as a contractor vehicle, or for his landscaping crew or to go to job sites. When a major mechanical problem occurred with the 350 or 454, the engine was rebuilt. The same for tranny issues as well because the overall life of the vehicle was so lone with different owners able to get different uses that it might stay on the road for 20+ years.

That's the way it was, at least from the early 1970's until at least the 1999 model (and for some configurations until the redesigned 2007 model).

QUICK PHOTO HISTORY OF THE CHEVY SUBURBAN
    Attachment 30161 Attachment 30162 Attachment 30163 Attachment 30164 Attachment 30165 Attachment 30166

Starting with perhaps the 1973 Suburban, when you looked at the interior, you got a pretty basic layout and configuration. Yes, it could haul some people, but the rear deck has a smaller 3rd passenger seat as an option (or 3rd party) and most people had the two-row configuration with a fold-flat rear seat - yes, allowing you to haul a 4x8 sheet of anything that comes in a 4x8 sheet.

The Suburban has changed dramatically on the interior
    NOW, when you look at the 2007+ models, built on the GMT900 platform, you get a different interior layout. No longer is the Suburban the all-purpose vehicle it once was. It's clearly not designed for anything except for people hauling. The 3rd row seats do some out, but try folding flat the 2nd row and getting a sheet of plywood in the back. Can't be laid flat.

Suburban sales have dropped of sharply over the past few years, mostly due to the high cost of fuel and the thirsty nature of the 'burban itself.

Has the purpose for the old-style Chevy Suburban gone and will never return?
    My question is - if nothing else, should a utilitarian version of the Suburban be offered once more to meet the hand-me-down paradigm that worked so well for two or three generations? Or, have other vehicles such as the Avalanche, Silverado and Traverse stepped in to fill the market gap left when gasoline prices went sky-high, leaving the Suburban as a dinosaur of the past, with no real purpose in the 21st century America?

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

I wont own anything with an air bag and I'm converting my throttle body vehicles to carburated I love quadrajets! If it's an 80's burb I'm a big fan! I dis like the throttle bodies response compared to quadrajets! I love the edlebrock intakes but hate their carbs
    Has the purpose for the old-style Chevy Suburban gone and will never return?

my suburban just turned 25yrs old,454 was gone when i got it so i built a 358cid at about 400hp.it's a 3/4 ton 2whl dr,400 turbo,4:10 detroit locker,you want to talk about balls !!i have it for one main reason,hauling my two german shepherds (female 80lbs,male 150-160lbs)try that with an suv.i live in cleveland ohio but the truck came from florida but i stock up on used parts when i can find them.somebody hit one of my rear doors(talk about a hard item to find around here)it cost me $400 with a big dent in it !anyways as alot of you had said when someone needs something moved,towed,or whatever my phones ringing.no plans on ever getting rid of it!!!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast