GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Should i paint this? (Rear bumper)

hey guys i was always wanting to paint my rear chrome bumper black, after doing some research i seen people paint their chrome with plasti dip spray can, which had me wanting to paint it more, since it bonds pretty good. i was wanting to fill the huge dent i have in the bumper also to give it a cleaner look. I was wanting an opinion on if i should or not. what do yall think? it and the front bumper and wheels are the only chrome accents i have left.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Rough guess on what it should look like (dont mind the tail lights, i got a little carried away. haha)

1994 Silverado Z71 1500 4x4
    BF Goodrich 31in All-Terrain Tires
    Painted frame-arms-axle
    Blazer Fog lights
    Removed front splash guard
    Tow hook Chains
    Locking gas cap
    REFLEXXION Rear bumper (Painted black)
    Diamond metal bed caps & Truck Box
    Painted engine bay
    Vinyl Flooring
    Bed insert
    Blistein Shock absorbers
    BOSS bluetooth LCD Radio
    Platinum trucker CB antenna
    Midland 5001z CB Radio
    XO backup camera
    X-press Remote entry-alarm
    CUSTOM metal gas & brake pedal
    Highland fold-away bed cleats
    Race thermostat

Yeah man if you want to paint it i think it would look good! I'm wanting to maybe paint my front/rear bumper also i just dk what step to take in doing it and don't wanna mess them up! The black would look good though man i say YES!

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarrchevy81 View Post
    Yeah man if you want to paint it i think it would look good! I'm wanting to maybe paint my front/rear bumper also i just dk what step to take in doing it and don't wanna mess them up! The black would look good though man i say YES!

Thanks man ! once i fill in the dents in it with JB Weld i will sand it even and paint it im pretty excited. im also going to add some recovery latches and stuff. Since its not the stock bumper it should hold up. thanks for the reply man! and BTW if you want to paint em use plasti dip spray paint! that stuff bonds to metal and WONT wear or chip!
    Last edited by ShadowRejects; 09-18-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Alright man i appreciate it ha. I know i would probably have to wet sand the chrome and clean it up good first and hit it with some primer,paint, and clear coat.. I see you maybe trying to black out your tail lights i hear VHT nighshade works good or you can make it easy and buy the Black out covers. I'm buying headlight/tailight tint for mine i don't want mine completly blacked out and it will only cost me $40 off EBay. This want be the plastic covers or the Vht nightshade since i paid allot for my headlight/tailights it will be kinda like a tint for windows but it's much more flexible. I like this idea better since if i want it off i can take it off very easily!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarrchevy81 View Post
    Alright man i appreciate it ha. I know i would probably have to wet sand the chrome and clean it up good first and hit it with some primer,paint, and clear coat.. I see you maybe trying to black out your tail lights i hear VHT nighshade works good or you can make it easy and buy the Black out covers. I'm buying headlight/tailight tint for mine i don't want mine completly blacked out and it will only cost me $40 off EBay. This want be the plastic covers or the Vht nightshade since i paid allot for my headlight/tailights it will be kinda like a tint for windows but it's much more flexible. I like this idea better since if i want it off i can take it off very easily!
    No problem man. Im kinda with you on this, like i REALLY want to paint my bumpers and stuff but ive had bad experience in painting metal and mainly chrome. I might have it professionally painted but thats pricy. Once i get a hold of some bolt on D-ring recovery latches ill fill in the dents and sand it all and primer it with some car primer and hit it up with some plasti dip and them clear coat it like you said. i figured that would work pretty well. and thats not a bad idea! i might fog out all my lights once i paint the whole truck dark silver im going to go into painting school to do all of that crap so i should be able to do it myself. Thanks for all the idea's man. Let me know if you need more suggestions and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowRejects View Post
    No problem man. Im kinda with you on this, like i REALLY want to paint my bumpers and stuff but ive had bad experience in painting metal and mainly chrome. I might have it professionally painted but thats pricy. Once i get a hold of some bolt on D-ring recovery latches ill fill in the dents and sand it all and primer it with some car primer and hit it up with some plasti dip and them clear coat it like you said. i figured that would work pretty well. and thats not a bad idea! i might fog out all my lights once i paint the whole truck dark silver im going to go into painting school to do all of that crap so i should be able to do it myself. Thanks for all the idea's man. Let me know if you need more suggestions and stuff
    go to craigs list and get a ranch-hand for that truck! looks good and comes in black.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeeney View Post
    go to craigs list and get a ranch-hand for that truck! looks good and comes in black.
    i would but im 15 years old and no job i get my money from usually wood working and chores. Thats why i usually paint stuff and prefer cheaper bolt on parts to make it looks aftermarket and preform aftermarked but for the rear bumper its getting black with some bolt on d-rings and starting yesterday im saving up for a 1200$ ARB winch front bumper once i get some money i will invest in a nice rear bumper tho

Sounds like a plan man..

Let us know how it goes. My rear bumper has some rust where the hitch goes and I was thinking about how difficult it would be to paint it. I am thinking that if I can paint the back one
    and it comes out okay and isnt a pain then I will paint the front one too. But I am thinking that I will paint them the same color as the truck. Which right now is maroon but once all the mechanicles and
    interior is finished might go with a different color. Good luck.
    Charlie
    96 Silverado Ext Cab SWB 5.7 Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by croach1776 View Post
    Let us know how it goes. My rear bumper has some rust where the hitch goes and I was thinking about how difficult it would be to paint it. I am thinking that if I can paint the back one
    and it comes out okay and isnt a pain then I will paint the front one too. But I am thinking that I will paint them the same color as the truck. Which right now is maroon but once all the mechanicles and
    interior is finished might go with a different color. Good luck.
    will do! and yea mine does that too. my little chrome ball hitch rusts every other week and i always remove it, sand it, oil it, then reinstall it! haha im picky about rust. I hate it. and yea using plasti dip should help but then again i want something a little more professional so i might accually paint it with flat black paint, or plasti dip, and clear coat it 3-5 times so it will last longer. and thats a pretty cool idea. thanks man and good luck to u too if you try it!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by