GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Both HID's not turning on in "Auto"

I recently changed my HID's to DDM Tuning 6k 35w set. I have the wiring harness from my previous kit still installed but when I hooked up the new ballast and bulbs I am not having both headlights consistently come on. I can see both initially get power but some times one or both instantly shut off. I can turn the headlight switch to the override position then manually turn them on and they work every time. I wasn't sure if I have a relay acting up or what. Any help is appreciated, Thanks

-JJ
    04 Silverado Ext-Cab 2wd LS w/ 5.3L
    Spectre Performance CAI
    FLOPRO Dual Exhaust
    Bakflip HD Bedcover
    2005 Z71 17in wheels on Duellar A/Ts
    DDM Tuning 6k HID Low Beams
    Sony Headunit w/ iPod
    Blacked out Bowtie and Windows
    Matched Paint for bumpers and grill

I had the same type of problem with the HIDs on my 2001 Silverado. The issue with mine was caused by starting at night with the automatic headlights. When the power was reduced during starting it would cause the balasts to not always reignite the bulbs after starting.

Based on experience, I would have to ask if you are using a relay harness with your HIDs, and if not I would suggest installing a relay harness to provide a consistent and sufficient power supply. If your issue is like mine and caused by the loss of power during starting, the only real fix is to wire a relay into the headlight wiring to cut power during starting which doesnt put the stress of the reduced power on the ballasts. If you just have an issue with the lights not firing at all in auto, I would suggest installing a relay harness because it sounds to me like your issue is either the ballasts aren't getting enough power or your ballasts are going bad.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

I do have a relay harness wired, I guess I will have to go through and make sure my connections are good.

-JJ

Jr. Mechanic

Recheck ALL your connections and especially the ground. Make sure none of the connectors look like they have been overheated which is a constant issue with some of the cheaper relay kits. I had the same issue temporarily until I found that the ground cable was not making a totally consistent contact with the rad support bolt I used.