GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question When shifting into reverse at higher idle can feel and hear loud 'CLANK' drive makes

And wouldn't you know this would start when im out with a bad neck injury and cant take it to my job ( i run shops) it only happens in reverse and im fighting all my instinct to look under it while the wife puts it in R but a cervical collar will sometimes teach you a little common sense.

Oh one tidbit this is a 91' with one ton running gear both axles were not to long before i picked it up from PO.Its 454-carbed Barry Grant 750 vac with electric choke that works properly (which mean one pump turn the key fires right up fast idle speed 1400 rpm,idle speed 775-800,when warm) when truck has warmed can barely feel or hear a thing.400 turbo,205,custom drive-shafts...Ceramic headers,flowmaster 40 series true duals,Edelbrock intake...and one thing having owned a few of these not a single drip from anything...lol.parked it on a cut up frig box the night i drove it home to see what leaks needed fixin...i was very pleasantly surprised...

Im thinking trans mount..????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burban 01 003.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	30306

I'm thinking either slack in the ring and pinion, or low transmission fluid. Low transmission fluid could cause the transmission not to build pressure when you first shift it into gear, and it then quickly builds the pressure, thorwing it into gear and jerking backwards. Reverse is a pretty low gearing so it would have plenty of torque to do it.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

hope like all hell your wrong on the pinon and ring gear...he just spent almost 3 grand having both done..it feels more toward the middle of the truck..i never thought about trans fluid and reverse is geared so much lower than drive the TC wouldn't engage as hard...okay will have someone check my fluid level...damn i hate that...lol...