GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 97 k1500 performance tips

I am looking to do some performance work on my 97 k1500 z71. It has a stock 350 in it and I'm just not sure where to begin. I work and go to college so I am on a budget of about $300 a month that i can put into it and, of course, I don't mind saving up. I am looking to get the most bang for my buck, starting with some smaller things then eventually throwing a pro-charger on it. My buddy suggested putting a cold air intake on it and a chip for starters then do bolt-ons. That sound about right? I will greatly appreciate any help I could get.

Welcome to the club. I would start with a CAI, exhaust, headers and a tune. I wouldn't put a ProCharger on a older engine unless you rebuild it first. How many miles on truck? Also I used to surf Sebastion Inlet when I was younger in the 60's and 70's before it was a state park.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks, and CAI is probably the first thing I was going to do to it along with a chip. I would love to put true duals on it with an X pipe but I don't know if I should do that right away because I have aftermarket exhaust (flowmasters) on it already, but not true duals. And I will look into some headers for it, as far as prices go. I have 194k miles on the truck right now. And nice to meet another local. I was born and raised in Sebastian and go to a local car meet that we have every Tuesday night. I actually work at Advance Auto Parts which helps out alot but performance parts aren't too great from there. I actually found a chip for my truck for $40 and its said to give up to 35 horsepower and 4 mpg but I find that hard to believe at that price. The brand was Fuel-Maxx Performance. But I can't see it hurting anything and figure I might as well give it a shot for $40.

Your truck doesn't have a removeable chip. You need a programmer or send your ecm off to a custom tuner like NelsonPerformance, PCM4Less or TPIS. Unless your making over 400hp you don't need duals, there mainly for looks. Also for a CAI for your year truck I like the K&N or AFE. Don't waste your money on those $40 chips.

Jr. Apprentice

Ok so basically just start with a CAI and headers? After that what should I work on? And I will be putting a K&N CAI on it.

I'd get a tune from one of the tuners I mentioned. I'd lean torwards NelsonPerformance.com

Jr. Apprentice

Ok thanks. I certainly appreciate the advice.

Jr. Apprentice

Any suggestions on headers as to what I should go with?

Well I have JBA shorties on my Silverado and Suburban. I went with them because at the time I was living in Florida and they were talking about starting to emission test and these are legal. But now there are long tubes that are legal, like DynaTechs. Longtubes make more power but are harder to install, shorties are real easy to install. If your handy you can install in about a hour each side. Shorties on your engine make about 8-10 hp, Long tubes make about 15-17hp.

Jr. Apprentice

Ya my bro suggested shorties because it would be difficult to get long tubes to fit. But at the same time I kinda want to try and get the exhaust done when I do the headers just because I will already be right there and ready. So I might end up waiting a couple months till I can do them at the same time. Shorties are going to run me about $200.