GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Talking The New England rust experience project!

I bought my truck back in April and fell in love with it. I have been contemplating for months now weather or not I should just drive it and leave it alone, or restore the frame and body since the engine is in great shape. I have not done a large project in years and maybe its time for a new one. New england has taken its toll on this truck, rust is rampant on the body and frame. But its nothing that cant be saved.

So what better place to start a restoration then at the foundation..the frame. My frame is not terrible, its got alot of heavy surface rust deposits and pitting in a few places here and there, but overall the C-channel frame is in tact and has enough meat to last.

I started off last night by removing the bed. 8 bolts (18mm) out all by hand. Couldn't use air tools because of neighbors. To lift the bed I used 4 ratcheting straps.

After the bed was off I got it down by lifting one end and letting my girlfriend release the straps then I lowered it to the floor by hand.
    Picture of my rig:

Now im not sure how to attack this. I have some rust reformer that converts rust to primer, but i dont think it will work well for heavy deposits. So i got a coarse wire wheel for my angle grinder. Its working well, but slow going.

In some places the metal is really weak, this is part of the cross member.

I am considering dropping my fuel tank, maybe doing the fuel pump assembly here while the bed is off. Not to mention look at those lines! The aroma of gasoline can be detected whenever you walk by the tank. Maybe by doing so my fuel gauge may stop bouncing all over the place haha.

More updates to come as I continue this battle. wish me luck!
    Last edited by Bdiggy; 09-25-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Going on 225,000 miles. "Like a rock"

Holy Rust Batman!!! It looks like a good project, I am just glad I live down south and dont have to deal with that on old vehicles. But I wish ya luck and that you dont find many bad surprises
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Yea, dont get me started. almost every car up here is like that. I would consider the rust on my truck to be nothing compared to some I have seen. I just wish MA would switch to sand instead of salting roads in the winter. It would save everyone alot of money!.

Thanks and I will be posting some more updates later. Currently I am testing Loctite Naval Jelly. Its supposed to dissolve rust, so hopefully it does the job because sanding and grinding really sucks.

Ah man, now your wanting me to do the same thing your doing! lol! keep me updated man. i love your idea of removing the bed. speaking of, im going to pick up some spray paint tommorow just so i can clean the rust up on mine as well! anyways PLEASE take more pics! im excited for this!
    1994 Silverado Z71 1500 4x4
    BF Goodrich 31in All-Terrain Tires
    Painted frame-arms-axle
    Blazer Fog lights
    Removed front splash guard
    Tow hook Chains
    Locking gas cap
    REFLEXXION Rear bumper (Painted black)
    Diamond metal bed caps & Truck Box
    Painted engine bay
    Vinyl Flooring
    Bed insert
    Blistein Shock absorbers
    BOSS bluetooth LCD Radio
    Platinum trucker CB antenna
    Midland 5001z CB Radio
    XO backup camera
    X-press Remote entry-alarm
    CUSTOM metal gas & brake pedal
    Highland fold-away bed cleats
    Race thermostat

Wow, that's something else. Had lots of rust when I lived in Seattle. Don't miss it at all.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bdiggy View Post
    Yea, dont get me started. almost every car up here is like that. I would consider the rust on my truck to be nothing compared to some I have seen. I just wish MA would switch to sand instead of salting roads in the winter. It would save everyone alot of money!.

Thanks and I will be posting some more updates later. Currently I am testing Loctite Naval Jelly. Its supposed to dissolve rust, so hopefully it does the job because sanding and grinding really sucks.
    Loctite has a primer product that you can get in an aerosol can that will react with oxidized metal to prevent corrosion. You might want to consider that as part of you restoration work. For the body to have held up that well with the amount of rust on the frame is pretty amazing. When I was in Rome NY 20+ years ago, you saw vehicles with holes in them. There was a guy I worked with whose winter rat was a station wagon that had a ratcheting strap that went in one tire well, under the gas tank out the other side and over the roof!

Good luck and keep the pictures coming. I want to see this project as it moves along.
    86 911 Porsche Carrera
    98 K1500 Suburban LT
    2012 Nissan Leaf

​General Motors.
    Because life is too short to drive a Ford

Legend
    Blog Entries

When we took the bed off my 01 s10, the frame was crunchy all over, but your fuel pump is the worst I have ever seen LOL! Mine wasn't even that bad after 11 Ohio winters, me and my boyfriend just picked up the bed by hand and took it off but I don't think I could pick up a full size chevy bed.

You might try using a needle gun or scaling gun on the frame it should do good on the heavier frame sections, I wouldnt try it on thin metals.
    I got a lot of experience my first tour in the Navy with needle guns while aboard the Saratoga (AKA Sinking Sara) and they work pretty fast, 1 person could do a 6x6 section down to bare metal in less than a 1/2 hour.