GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Threaded View

Talking The New England rust experience project!

I bought my truck back in April and fell in love with it. I have been contemplating for months now weather or not I should just drive it and leave it alone, or restore the frame and body since the engine is in great shape. I have not done a large project in years and maybe its time for a new one. New england has taken its toll on this truck, rust is rampant on the body and frame. But its nothing that cant be saved.

So what better place to start a restoration then at the foundation..the frame. My frame is not terrible, its got alot of heavy surface rust deposits and pitting in a few places here and there, but overall the C-channel frame is in tact and has enough meat to last.

I started off last night by removing the bed. 8 bolts (18mm) out all by hand. Couldn't use air tools because of neighbors. To lift the bed I used 4 ratcheting straps.

After the bed was off I got it down by lifting one end and letting my girlfriend release the straps then I lowered it to the floor by hand.
    Picture of my rig:

Now im not sure how to attack this. I have some rust reformer that converts rust to primer, but i dont think it will work well for heavy deposits. So i got a coarse wire wheel for my angle grinder. Its working well, but slow going.

In some places the metal is really weak, this is part of the cross member.

I am considering dropping my fuel tank, maybe doing the fuel pump assembly here while the bed is off. Not to mention look at those lines! The aroma of gasoline can be detected whenever you walk by the tank. Maybe by doing so my fuel gauge may stop bouncing all over the place haha.

More updates to come as I continue this battle. wish me luck!
    Last edited by Bdiggy; 09-25-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Going on 225,000 miles. "Like a rock"