GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Eibach rear coil springs to take away the stock rake on 2003 Tahoe

Has anyone out there tried to lower the rear of their Tahoe for an even, flat look? The difference between the front and rear wheel openings is 2 inches, the back being 2 inches higher than the front. I saw Eibach pro-fit coils to lower the back by 1 1/2 to 2 inches. That should be the ideal if I wanted the wheels to look the same in the wheel wells, front to back.
    Has anyone tried this? Does it necessitate a front end re-alignment? Does it have any positive effects other than looks, i.e. cornering, fuel economy? Are there other springs that are better? I already have front and rear Eibach sway bars.
    I am not trying to lower it to the ground. It is a Z71, and I take it off road and go camping with it. Lowering it 2 inches in the rear does not appear to effect the ground clearance??
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

Why don't get leveling kit to lift the front of the tahoe 2 inches. It will give you more clearance in the front since you do some off roading. I think if you do go with leveling kit you will need an alignment.

Like Klutch M said, your best bet is to do a ReadyLift, Rough Country ect. leveling kit.
    >>>2003 Suburban K1500 LT<<<

Currently:
    ~Rear overhead DVD
    ~Orion 600D
    ~ 12" Acoustic Elegance AV12
    ~Hankook ATM DynPro A/T's
    ~Flowmaster exhaust

But why jack it up?? The lowest point of the Tahoe is the differential. Lowering with the springs will not give the differential more clearance. Nor will raising the front give the differential more clearance. From what little I know of vehicle dynamics; the lowering of the rear suspension, however miniscule the 2 inches is in the overall scheme of things, lowers the center of gravity. Reducing the polar moment of inertia with a lower center of gravity should increase cornering speeds, and generate a higher g-force on a turn before the tires exceed their designed in slip angle. Witness the Baja trucks which are low to the ground, but have really high ground clearance, and Real Hummers for that matter. What say you? I don't think that I will compromise the ability to go off-road, but I should satisfy my need for speed! Somewhat? Maybe?? My skid plates have gouges, but I have never high sided.
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71

Getting a leveling kit will save you a little money instead of getting the Eibach rear coil springs. Lifting the front of your Tahoe 2 inches isn't going to dramatically increase the center of gravity. Why is it important to generate a higher g-force on a turn? Your not racing your Tahoe or making sharp turns going 60 mph. The Baja trucks are different they are making sharp turns while going 70 mph which is why they have low clearance to reduce them from rolling over. If you want to lower the rear of your Tahoe to fulfill your need for speed so be it, but its still not going to help you make a sharp turn going 60 mph, your still probably going to roll it.